Sound proofing and insulation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Sound proofing and insulation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tom ware
Username: Tommie

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 06:27 pm:   

what have other builders used to sound proof/insulate their planes.
any suggestions will be helpful

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:24 pm:   

I was searchiong for that the other day and found this site... Havent tried it yet, but you might be able to ask for a samle.

http://www.soundproofing.org/index.htm

They have several different thicknesses

Jim

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:31 pm:   

Sorry - I'll give you the link to the Plane Page:
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/soundprf.html

There is also a Vinyl Barrier that is pretty decent at reducing noise, is light, and is only 1/8" thick:
http://soundprooffoam.us/

i plane on trying out both products.. maybe the thicker for the firewall/front floor, and the vinyl on the rest... dunno yet though. If you DO get samples from them, let us know...

Jim

tom ware
Username: Tommie

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:21 pm:   

Thanks Jim im aware of the sound proofing from Bill Nash or should I say i have his book on the subject which is available free from him and or aircraft spruce.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:00 am:   

I used some black 1/2" thick med density foam that I got from an auto interior shop. I used it on the floor and up the sides halfway. covered it with carpet. The top half is 3/16" landow foam used on the roofs of cars, covered with a fake leather. I got it from Mike Jones. JJ Interiors in Calf. He has an award winning Glassair3 that has been in the mags.
My thoughts on noise, and I have plenty of time in noisy airplanes. With all the window space and cracks around the doors, what you use over the rest of the fuselage probably doesn't matter. More HP= more noise. You are NOT going to get by with out headsets and carry on a conversation like in a car.
Then everyone seems to be worried about fire. Think about it.What is going to burn? If fuel is loose in the cockpit and is burning, are you really concerned about the toxic melting of non FAA materials? And if FWF is onfire, you are inside a resin airplane for petesake, better get that dude on the ground. I am looking to put in a tube from the cockpit to the engine compartment, that I can shoot my handheld extinguisher through. That by the way, is mostly for ground use.
Fear not faint of hearts, flying is still more safe then driving, just do the best you can and take your chances.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:10 am:   

I used some black 1/2" thick med density foam that I got from an auto interior shop. I used it on the floor and up the sides halfway. covered it with carpet. The top half is 3/16" landow foam used on the roofs of cars, covered with a fake leather. I got it from Mike Jones. JJ Interiors in Calf. He has an award winning Glassair3 that has been in the mags.
My thoughts on noise, and I have plenty of time in noisy airplanes. With all the window space and cracks around the doors, what you use over the rest of the fuselage probably doesn't matter. More HP= more noise. You are NOT going to get by with out headsets and carry on a conversation like in a car.
Then everyone seems to be worried about fire. Think about it.What is going to burn? If fuel is loose in the cockpit and is burning, are you really concerned about the toxic melting of non FAA materials? And if FWF is onfire, you are inside a resin airplane for petesake, better get that dude on the ground. I am looking to put in a tube from the cockpit to the engine compartment, that I can shoot my handheld extinguisher through. That by the way, is mostly for ground use.
Fear not faint of hearts, flying is still more safe then driving, just do the best you can and take your chances.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: