Steps for the wing(s) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Steps for the wing(s) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

G. Farley
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2000 - 05:08 pm:   

Does anyone know of a source for wing steps ?
Or, will a "used" step off of a production
aircraft fit the Express? If so, what kind?

I have a CT (one door) version so I only need
a step for the right wing.

Glen Farley

John Harlow
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2000 - 05:40 pm:   

Doesn't the factory have them available? IMHO if we don't support Paul and Larry so they survive we all lose in the long run.

Bill Copeland
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2000 - 09:16 pm:   

Glen:

John is right on. In fact the step design is intrinsic to the EXPRESS. I'll bet you can order one from the factory - or, if you must, get some streamline tubing and some sheet 4130 and weld one up. Just remember to mirror the one you have. The factory manual has an accurate pattern you could use for the mounting lug.

Bill Copeland

John - What the heck is IMHO?

Jay Villalva
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2000 - 10:26 pm:   

I've been building for years and am always impressed when we invent (or re-invent) the praverbial wheel. I've received part from Ken and Gail Wheeler, David Ulrich and from Larry (Express Aircraft); Larry has quality, well thought out and engineered parts. The prices are reasonable (if that word can be used in the same sentence when talking about the cost of aircraft parts). Larry's been envolved with the Express from way back, I recommend his wares with-out reservation. We don't need to buy parts from the company just to keep it going - the parts are worth the money, you'll save untold time not designing, engineering, or fabricating will add time available to build and get flying sooner.

John Harlow
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 04:23 am:   

Bill, IMHO is (In My Humble Opinion).
Jay, I did not in any way mean that we should only buy parts to keep the company open regardless of quality, but a lot of builders are prone to find an alternate source. Having an ongoing company is very important when it comes to insurance. (availablty of replacement parts). My .02 cents

Jay Villalva
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 11:59 am:   

John, I wasn't meaning to preach. I'm all for the supporting the company! Some us old timers (builders) got burned more then once from the the previous companies and I wanted to plug Larry and Express Aircraft Company for what they are doing for all Express builders.

Bill Copeland
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 06:08 pm:   

Jay:

Right On!

Glad to see you come up on the "board". I need to verify your current address - for EXPRESS Link mail. You don't need to put it on the board just send it to me at bnbent@pacbell.net. Thanks

Bill C.

jboubelik
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 06:30 am:   

Guys, I got my S/90 kit from David Ulrich. I didn't get everything I needed, so I became creative. I made my own door hinges, elevator and rudder hinges, and acquired two used steps form a wrecked Grummand (sp) Tiger I believe. They weren't bent and they weren't chrome--and they cost $50 each. I use them every time I climb into my taxiing-but-not-flying S/90.

For the record, I bought a great engine mount, exhaust system and new nosewheel/strut assby from Larry. My manual flap system is out of a wrecked Cherokee, and my elevator push/pull system is home grown. Like many of you, I'm sure, I must economize where possible, if I'm to complete this project.

I am very pro-Express as are the many 'hangar-rats' that have spent much of the last four years watching my project grow. The new Express seems to be getting stronger by the day, and that is great for all builders.

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 09:27 am:   

Glad to see so many positive comments about Express. We all need that factory support. I have been very impressed with Larry & the crew since starting on the builder assist last July. I think it is a super airplane and look forward to a year 2000 completion.

tom ware
Username: Tommie

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   

can onyone tell me the plate thickness part #11-14-021 for proceedure 4.180-1 and does this apply just to the series 90 or all earlier ver. as well?
4.180-1 calls for an5-16 bolts through the carry through flange with a plate on the outer skin which appears to be 8.5 inches X 1.5
thanks
tom ware

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:17 am:   

Tom, 2024T-3, 0.062"

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:55 am:   

Does anyone have a drawing of how the wing shear webs and attach fittings are assembled showing materials with thicknesses, bolt sizes and how attach fittings are bolted to the fuselage and tied to fuselage shear webs? I have the new attach fitting vs the wheeler style. I'm guessing the wing shear web gets a 4130 plate but what thickness? The attach fitting seems like it needs some sort of backing plate or fitting to carry loads to the fuselage shear webs.

Roger Spencer

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:57 am:   

Does anyone have a drawing of how the wing shear webs and attach fittings are assembled showing materials with thicknesses, bolt sizes and how attach fittings are bolted to the fuselage and tied to fuselage shear webs? I have the new attach fitting vs the wheeler style. I'm guessing the wing shear web gets a 4130 plate but what thickness? The attach fitting seems like it needs some sort of backing plate or fitting to carry loads to the fuselage shear webs.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 09:18 am:   

If you mean that you have the machined part for the forward shearweb and the machined & welded part for the aft. They are attached with thru bolts and large area washers. The load is transfered to the laminations that tie the shearweb to the inside of the fuselage. You may need to carve out the inner skin where the aft shearweb attaches and bevel the foam, then apply 3 laminations to close out the bevel. Just so you're not applying compression loads to a foam core.

Roger Spencer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   

Thanks Ted. The data I have indicates a metal plate on each side of the forward and aft wing shear webs bolted through the shear webs to form the attachment on each shear web on the wing side. These have a single bolt to the fuselage attach fittings. Since these plates on each shear web are the shear web thickness apart, I'm not sure how to attach them to the fuselage fittings -Use some spacers; or just attach to one plate? Right now I just have the rear attach fittings. EAMF is making the forward fittings for me. The rear fuselage fittings I have have only 3/16th size holes in them. This doesn't seem like enough to take the shear web loads in the wings into the fuselage. Is it supposed to be reamed out to a larger size? Further, I assume the wing shear web end plates are 4130 but how thick should they be?

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 07:35 am:   

The method you describe suits the Wheeler through Auriga application. For S2000 and beyond, there is a bracket that accepts the shear web and thru bolts to the fuselage. Doing it the old way meant cutting slots through the side of the fuselage to accept the tie plates. Not much room for error!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: