Express Factory Support Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Express Factory Support « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike AuClair
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2000 - 09:32 am:   

I have hesitated to post this message on the forum because some builders, who must rely on the factory for support, may become concerned about their ability to complete their projects.
Those of us building the earlier versions of the aircraft have detailed construction manuals and most all the parts needed to complete the project. Those building the later versions, with or without builder assist contracts, have a need for concern.
I am building an early CT version but have purchased the Series 2000 tail and builder assist packages from the factory. The factory builder assist portion was completed in June 1999 and the fuselage and tail parts that I built were shipped to Tucson in September. To this date I have not received all the parts that I need to close out the fuselage so I can move on to mounting the wings, gear and engine.
I call the factory religiously every 1-2 weeks and always receive promises that the parts will be shipped that or the next day. I never have received a construction manual for the 2000 tail. I do have one for the series 90.
I really need the help of you that are building the series 90 or later airplane. If any of you have a rudder horn perhaps you could trace the outline of it and fax it to me and I will build my own. I also lack the baggage door hinges and latch. If any one knows of a source for these parts please advise me and I will contact them. I do not have the trim tab hinges, skins, etc. and any info you can give me on this would be of help. I understand their is an airduct that is installed with a naca duct from the tail forward for air supply to the cockpit. Anyone know anything about this?
I have reached the point where I go to the hangar and walk around the airplane 2 or 3 hours each day without accomplishing anything due to the lack of parts. Any and all help will be appreciated.
Mike

chris m
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2000 - 11:50 am:   

From the Factory...

Mike, just to refresh your memory, we did inform you that during our recent condition inspections of both our demonstrator aircraft, we detected excessive wear in the rudder hinge connection to the cables that we believe is caused by cables that are not properly aligned with the hinge line as they are in the older CT models (that is why we haven't sent you the old style, incorrect rudder horn). As a result of this, we have taken an extensive re-look at those components and are redesigning the way the cables attach. We have in fact recently implemented a new shielded cable and bearing assembly to replace the older style design, but it isn't a simple change we can just design and ship out the door. This change, as well as all the other recent refinements, must be reflected in the assembly manual as well. Once all the corrections are made and procedures complete, we will be sending out correct documentation.

Obviously we don't want to send out parts or procedures that are not complete, correct or safe for operation Mike, that is one of the primary reasons we have taken such an extensive look at how the original airplanes were designed and assembled over the last couple years, and have redesigned many of the components we felt needed corrections. Our committment to quality and safety means that we simply will not ship out parts that are incorrect, untested or unsafe. As we've finished redesigning a component and validated that it's correct and safe, we've made them available to all builders. Nevertheless, it does take a bit of time to validate every change before we manufacture and send out parts.

As an attachment to this note, we've recommended that all original EDI Series 90 builders/owners inspect the rudder horn/cable attachment for excessive wear just to be safe.

- Larry Olson / Chris Michalak
Express Aircraft Company

JD Hunter
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2000 - 12:28 pm:   

Mike -

I'm an fairly new builder who is building an older S-90 kit that EDI manufactured back in the early 90's so I know that the troubles you're having with the older documentation (it has a lot to be desired). I can tell you though that after my recent visit to the Express factory, I came away convinced that the quality of parts that they're making exceeds that of what EDI made years ago on my kit. Both Larry and Chris were very helpful on filling my parts order and answering my questions. In particular to your situation, I saw the troubles they were fighting on the rudder horn and cables, plus the new cable assembly (and plan on changing my older cables to their new system once it's ready to ship).

One of the changes I'm making is puting in their baggage door package. Larry showed the different types of hinges and latches they've tried, and it sounds like they finally have a system that will work real good (after months of experimenting). Personally, I can't wait to get my S-90 flying... my anxiuosness is just tough to keep in control sometimes.

My kit didn't have the old style rudder horn with it so sorry I can't send you mine. I'd take a real good look at their new shielded cable system though, it looks much better than the old way.

J.D. Hunter
jd_hunter1@hotmail.com

Bob Gisburne
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:25 pm:   

Mike:

I built the first (I think) S-90 conversion. I made my own rudder horn since the plans from EDI weren't complete and their metal parts quality was SO BAD. I can send you a drawing of what I did. Please email me your phone/fax and I will send it out. Also, I'm in Carefree, AZ and just got my plane out of the paintshop. I'd love to take you for a spin!

Bob

Bob Gisburne
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:26 pm:   

Mike:

I built the first (I think) S-90 conversion. I made my own rudder horn since the plans from EDI weren't complete and their metal parts quality was SO BAD. I can send you a drawing of what I did. Please email me your phone/fax and I will send it out. Also, I'm in Carefree, AZ and just got my plane out of the paintshop. I'd love to take you for a spin!

Bob

John Harlow
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:40 pm:   

Mike,
I'am a original Auriga builder and my method for the rudder was to use piano hinge on the right side of the rudder and purchase the fitting from Glasair for the rudder and fabricate a system of my own but very similar to the Glasair system with a push pull tube. This gave me mechanical stops with spring back for the petals. If your interested I would be glad to share.
John

butler
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 05:58 am:   

I was at the Express factory in mid February. I witnessed first hand the improvements Larry Olson mentioned in his post. These are good improvements and will be well worth the wait. The factory is extremely busy right now as people are finding out what a fantastic aircraft the Express is, and what a good deal the builder assist program is.

Mike AuClair
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:01 pm:   

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my message above, both on the forum and by email and telephone. I have corresponded, off line, with each of you by now and will continue to keep you appraised of the situation.
I also corresponded with the factory concerning their response above, but have not yet received a reply.

Mike

John L. Pels
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 06:41 am:   

My Two Cents!
This is a great forum that Tom H. has availed the Express community. The ability to disseminate information to builders is fantastic. It is also easy to abuse. When I read Mike A's tale of woe I was totally shocked. The reason I say this is because I have been dealing personally with Larry Olsen for no less than four and a half years. My story is a little unusual(not because I am the slowest Express builder in history.) In 1996 a partially completed CT kit became available to me for a greatly reduced cost. You must remember the time period. EDI declared bankruptcy in 1995, Express as a viable entity was adrift. There was "blood in the streets" so to speak. I checked with EAA about what was happening with this kit, and they referred me to Larry Olsen, then with Experimental Aircraft Technologies. He advised that he was trying to buy the rights and assets of EDI, and believed that it would soon be a viable concern.I bought kits 1,2, and 3. In the meanwhile he located an upper-fuse in Switzerland from Werner Maag who was converting to the later style tail. I shipped it back to the States(essentially kit4). Through other connections he hooked me up with Mike Roberti in Arizona who had a badly assembled CT tail to sell. My son and I drove out to Arizona to pick up a big chunk of kit5. The whole reason I got involved with this project is because of Larry Olsen. We have been doing business since. He sends parts, and I send money, usually in that order. Any allusions to Express builders being unable to complete kits because of factory impediments other than those explained by Chris above should be regarded as highly suspect. I am not one of the big spenders with Larry, and that maybe is the point. Despite my piecemeal approach to finishing this project, I have never had any problem getting any part and I am always treated well. Some of those parts have been CT specific, and lets face it the CT has been out of production for 6 years now. Keep up the good work Larry and the whole crew at Express Aircraft.
John Pels

John Harlow
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 07:25 am:   

Just to clear the air if there's any question about my association with the present company. I would like to say that without Paul,Larry, Mike, Dave, et el of the present Express Aircraft Co., I also would not be where I'am at today. As I stated I'am one of the original Auriga builders but if you check the records N540JB is registered as an Express 2000 and I hope to fly sometime in March (thats this year I hope). I support the present company but am willing to share my alternate methods of doing things which the Auriga group have shared along the way. I'am almost 10 years into this project and glad to see the end in sight.

thutchis
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 08:49 am:   

Thank you John for your kind comments on the forum. I am so glad its becoming a valuable resource for he Express community. Keep those posts coming everyone.

In defense of Mike A. he posted his disatisfaction with the company after quite a bit of "soul searching" in private e-mails to me. I have no objection to his posts and I don't consider it out of line. His post definitely falls under the guidelines I set out in the "acceptable use policy". To recap the policy, I will not tolerate personal attacks against anyone, or "flame wars". Mike only laid out the facts of his experience from his perspective. The forum exists for the "good, and the bad of building experimental aircraft".

My own experience with the factory has been great. I will admit sometimes progress has been held up because parts are being redesigned, but the improvments made possible are more than worth the wait. This is going to be a fantastic aircraft and will continue to improve.

Well enough on this subject. Lets get back to building and helping each other.

Tom

Stan Susman
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   

Hi folks, I have just puchased an Express that's not yet out of phase 1 testing, I built a long-EZ I have comfort with all composits and not afraid of work. This bird has too much + AOA on the starboard wing requiering over an inch of alerion deflect for level flight.My asumtions are: Remove wing, reshape main spar/carry thru interface for correct AOA remount fore and aft stub spar brackets,Overbore and bush or oversize srar bolts.
repair wing fairing, fly.Would you kind people let me know if I'm bark'in up the wrong tree.. Thanks in advance, Stan Susman

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: