Grass Reinforcement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Grass Reinforcement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   

Was looking around for alternatives to a plain grass strip w/o having to actually pave it and ran across a product called 'Perfo'. It goes beyond the typical 'mesh' type grass reinforcement/stabilization products in that its more robust, carries heavier loads, and actually provides more solid surface area allowing a broader range of weather.
Anyone here know about or seen this before? And if so, where to get it in the USA? Its made in Germany and now sold in the UK, but havent found a US distributor as of yet...

http://www.s2taviation.com/perfo.html

http://www.perfo-uk.com/

Jim

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:50 pm:   

Jim -

When I built my grass strip my intention was to start saving my pennies towards the ultimate goal of paving it. After using it for a couple of years, I decided I really prefer grass! I suppose a lot would depend on climate and soil type. We built in a decent crown, so the clay soil drains pretty good; here in Tennessee snow removal is not an issue; and BermudaGrass grows good so we keep the strength year round. The result is an attractive, forgiving, year-round strip.

Why are you looking for alternatives?

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:34 pm:   

Well, where I plan on being when I get the strip (I hope to anyways) its sandy soil that doesnt hold up under weight very well, I believe anyways. It drains well, however, so dont think that'll be an issue. So basically looking into increasing the wieght capacity to prevent ruts, and help traction in snow.

Planning on NW Indiania, so if anybody can tell me how well the soil holds up after a few years, let me know please.

Jim

jharlow
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 04:46 am:   

Who are you getting insurance with? Falcon insurance (EAA sponser) would not write it and most others will not insure an express. Some friends with Cert A/C are also finding it difficlut to get insurance on a grass strip.I had to base my Express on a paved strip to get insurance this year although they do not prevent me from landing on the grass strips. DUH!!!!

John

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:07 pm:   

I've been insured by Avemco since first flight, and they don't seem to care.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: