Archive through August 16, 2002 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Flap Motor » Archive through August 16, 2002 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Jordan
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 07:15 pm:   

Does anyone know how to wire the flap motor that goes in the wing? Its a linak motor that I bought from express. it has 5 wires red blue green yellow and red. What does what? Thanks Rob.

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   

According to the manual: (underlined and in bold)
The positive lead from the battery is connected to the Red wire. The neagtive lead is connected to the Blue wire. If you connect the leads to the black and white wire you burn out the actuator.

Now the manual drawing doesn't show a white wire (as mentioned in the manual excerpt above) and you mention a red wire twice. The LINAK actuator I have has yellow, red, black, green and blue (there is a white center cord, but it has no wire).

They suggest cycling the actuator with a 9 to 12 volt battery (ie. cordless drill battery)

From the drawing it looks like the yellow and black wire are connected (via the flap switch) to raise the flaps with a micro switch that opens the circit at the up position limit. The green and black are connected (via the same flap switch) to lower the flaps with a micro switch that opens the circit at the down position limit.

Robert Jordan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 04:45 am:   

Thanks the manual I have doesn't have that in bold.. oh wait it doesn't have it at all it was published 7 years before these motors were used. :)

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 09:13 am:   

Rob,

Who did you get the flap motor from? Didn't they supply directions on how to install it or what wires did what?

robert jordan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 11:54 am:   

I purchased from larry olson a number of years ago and there were no instructions with it he told me what hooked to what at the show but thats been way to long ago. BTW mine has no white wire and instead of two reds I meant to write green so it has red, blue, green, yellow, black .

Robert A Jordan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 08:24 pm:   

Just to let everyone know, tom hutchison and larry have helped me out. It turned out that I connected it wrong on the bench and killed it. But luckily it simply burned a trace on the controller board so a simple bench repair and were back on track. Thanks to all for the help as always I'm glad we have this forum and soon we will be able to join those flying. With a very small amount of luck we'll make sun and fun.

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 03:06 am:   

Has anyone ever had a flap motor failure after it has been installed in the aircraft?

I get fairly nervous about the ramifications if a failure occurred in the wing mounted motor. It hardly bears thinking about. The whole wing would have to be removed to get at it, unless, of course one were to hack into the wing and then do a major repair. Yuk!

"Freddo" (David Frederiksen, who is about to start building his aircraft here in OZ once the remainder of his kit arrives from the factory) and I were talking about the feasability of installing the motor in the fuselage next to the elevator torque tube. That would necessitate a larger "hump area" but it sounds like it might be a good idea.

Question: has anyone else mounted their flap motor in the fuselage? I would also like to hear opinions on doing this, even if you have not done such an installation. I would also be pleased to hear a view on the subject from the factory?

Regards.

Kevin (from Downunder)

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:09 am:   

Kevin,

The original Express's had the flap motor in the rear center console.

Jim Lewis has the new elevator & flap hardware and he made a few new parts to put his flap motor in the same location.

Brian

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:19 am:   

Sorry! I posted in the wrong section. Go to General Questions...

Brian

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 06:42 am:   

Kevin,

You won't have to cut your wing to get the flap actuator out. I have the small hole in my wing, and when I changed to the new gear the flap motor/actuator had to be removed and replaced. In fact, my wife, Kay, did that part. If you can't get it, e-mail me and I will have Kay give you some advice.

Jim Butler