LANDING/TAXI LIGHT Ideas needed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » LANDING/TAXI LIGHT Ideas needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward McGovern
Username: Mcgovern

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:14 pm:   

I'm a partner in a completed Wheeler Express FG with an IO-360 that was not built with any landing/taxi lights. We would like to install some and are looking for ideas. Specifically - we'd like to consider the lower cowl for mounting two lights, each adjusted for taxi and landing pitch. Any similar solutions out there or other ideas are welcome. NOTE: All other external position & strobes/internal instrument lights is already in place and functional.
N119NC Nose Shot

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 02:25 pm:   

If you put the lights in the leading edge of the wings, outboard of the fuel tanks, you will get a broader lighted area, less vibration to shorten the filament life, and won't have to disconnect (and remember to re-connect) the wires when you remove the cowling.

Having owned a Cherokee with the light in the cowling, and an Express with lights in the wings, I recommend the latter.

Phil

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 12:12 am:   

More pics of the plane? ;)

ya - go with the in-wing. Not hard to add, really.

more pics of the plane? ;)

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:52 am:   

well in 230 hours my nose cowl installed auto spot lgt still works, see pics in gallery. You kind of really need a taxi lgt, but a landing lgt is over rated.
I wouldn't bond the lens in if you go with the wing mount as it will need replaced after it crazes.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:15 pm:   

Here is my cowl installation. I have 622 hours and have the original lights. The Express cowl is solidly mounted, so vibration is not much of an issue. For the Pipers and Cessnas, the cowls float on rubber mounts, so they can vibrate. Further, because of the flatness at the wing tip, the curvature of the leading edge causes light installations there to lose more light, and good lights for the thin flat area are harder to find. You can mount all kinds of lights in the cowl. Mine are the halogen version of the 4519.

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 01:13 pm:   

Hi folks
I have purchased a xenon spot light from Hella. It is called "Hella DE xenon" and consists of a light source housing with a 2 inch dia glass lens as light output. Also kit contains necessary cables and an electronic ballast box. Light housing is 4.7 inches long and 3 inches in dia coning down to slightly more than two inches at light output. The whole thing draws 3.5 amps and gives light output as a normal 100W incandescent source. Thus heating problem is more or less gone. Light output is VERY intense. The whole kit weighs about 1.4 pounds and its small dimensions makes it a very good choiche for installation in wing nose as it needs a much smallér light output than a conventional one. Hella part number is 1FO 008 390 001 and is priced around $280.

Sven Eriksson

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:57 pm:   

Sven:
Do you have additional Hella info? I tried their website but could not locate a part number that resembled the one you posted.
Funny, I was looking at the projector style fog lites from Hella as well.

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 07:18 pm:   

Found them for $699 a pair @ http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/hella/micro_de_xenon.jsp - which is more than Sven paid even if he had bought 2.

And the 'non' DE lights for $679 a pair @ http://www.puma-access.com/hella/microxenon/microxenon.htm

DE are the newer versions and are round as opposed to rectangular.

Just a quick search - I'm sure there's other places

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   

Try www.hellausa.com . FYI part number should be 1F0 008 390-001 I had mistyped character "O" after the F instead of a null. The kit for $699 is exactly a double of what I bought. I do not know if the part number is valid in the US but it is what is stamped on my kit box. Actually I purchased it some month ago for about 2250 Swedish kronor wich at the current exchange rate is about $310. If you as a foreigner buys in Sweden and leave the country you will be credited the sales tax(20% off) when leaving country.

Roy Howard Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   

Here is a photo of a XeVision HID light installed in a Wheeler type wing at the Express factory. There are some details on this way back in the News archive.
Roy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: