Archive through March 03, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through March 03, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:42 pm:   

Pictures for those of you who are interested in the "hidden" lock placement for the baggage door and the main door(s). More details on my web page.

http://www.sierratel.com/jerico/baggagedoorinfo.html

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 04:41 am:   

Just got back from the Bahamas "mon", would like to report that the EX2K flies wonderful at sealevel.
I learned that the FAA flt plan type designator for our planes is EXPR. That covers all the Express series. I don't file often, so this may be old news.
My exhaust cracked again so Custom Aircraft is making me a new one, and a deal for the rest of the Express owners can be had. Will report on the new system by Thanksgiving.

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:47 am:   

Exhaust system cracking can be in indicator that you need your propeller dynamically balanced. Reinhard Metz can tell you all about the trouble an out of balance propeller can cause. I have the equipment to do this work. It usually takes about 2 hours, plus the time to remove the cowling. It takes about 4 ground runs of the engine at cruise rpm and power settings, providing you can hold the airplane with the brakes.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:26 am:   

I second that! I needed both some system re-inforcements/improvements and the prop balance (With Jim's help!), and have had no significant trouble since.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

thanks anyway, I have had mine balanced, it was with in tolerance before but close to zero now. Seems to be the extra weight of the heat muff and not being supported, which I will change with the new set.
540 guys,are you blowing out lots of oil from the breather? I have tried an air/oil sep but that didn't help much.

Martin Vandenbroek
Username: Martin

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:42 am:   

We hope that there are some Express builders, or owners of flying aircrafts, in Florida who would invite us to have a look.

We are two guys from Europe,The Nehterlands.
We purchased our Express 2000RG kit last year Sun 'n Fun. Our kit is still not delivered yet but has been partly build by us via the builder assist program. It has not been delivered yet due to missing parts. That seems to be solved by now. But we are waiting still for the Continental FADEC engine to be delivered (seems to be an other problem there).
We have not been very lucky so far.

Have a look on the progess of Express on our website.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~vdbroekballon/express/home.html

We are visiting Florida from april 7th till april 16th and stay in St. Lucie. We have a plane available so distance is not a problem.

You can contact us by e-mail vdbb@hetnet.nl

Hope to here from you.

Martin vandenBroek and Toon Beekmans

Steve Bussey
Username: Geosync

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 04:58 am:   

You are welcome to visit my project at Merritt Island Airport, near Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach. Mine is not very much like yours, it is a cruciform tail,fixed gear model from the Wheeler days, Lycoming IO540C4B5, and a new Hartzell 3 blade prop. It has not flown yet, but should be ready some time this year.

http://www.eaa724.org/MembersBussey.html

Steve Bussey

Martin Vandenbroek
Username: Martin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 07:39 am:   

Steve thanks it looks good.
How do we get in contact with you when we are over there?

Could you e-mail us your telephone number?
vdbb@hetnet.nl

Martin

Stan Susman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:36 am:   

Who knows what the rating in lbs. is on the door gas lift struts? I tried 90lbs and the math says that should of worked but I got a sore head. Maybe 90 was wishful thinking by the manufacture. Comments?

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:00 am:   

Don't know what EAC sent me, but you could not pull them down. I think Larry told me 100#. I got mine from Autozone and they are 65#. 45# wasn't enough. depends on where they are mounted/how much leverage the door puts on them. Farther from the hinge=less force.but then you need longer stroke. try till you find one that works without bending you door.