Options for more BA-weeks/days ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Options for more BA-weeks/days ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jastrzebski
Username: Michal

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:32 pm:   

This is hypothetical but please bear with me.
First I wanted to ask if there are any 2000FT builders around who went through the whole 6 weeks of BA alone, with no helpers ?. Is it doable ?

Next, I wonder if someone worked slower (being alone or for whatever reason) and could not complete all the tasks within the alotted 6-week period could then an additional BA session be purchased as needed ?

Michael J.

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:37 pm:   

Michael,

I went through the Builder's Assist alone. Of course I was the 3rd one (Gary M. may disagree with me being 3rd) and the program and the kit has improved a lot since then. I think its probably doable based upon my experience.

You will have to ask Roy and Allyn whether you can purchase additional BA sessions.

Tom Hutchison

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:06 pm:   

We can work with the builder to support them through the whole process. I'm sure we can provide additional weeks at the normal BA rate. I just don't want people to think of BA as renting a garage shop. The program does a lot more than the 51% required, so it is possible to let our finish services pick up the odds and ends that one person doesn't finish.

I went through the 6 weeks last year. My wife was with me for the second session where we built the wings. I did the other two sessions alone, but I was pretty wiped out the second week each time. It really is better to have someone as a helper and spread the workload a bit.

We now do the wings in the first session because there is a lot of small taping and that's the best place to learn your fiberglass skills.

I had to lay in the ribs and Q-cell the joints. There was also a lot of trimming to fit. We now have the ribs in and Q-celled already for you and you can start taping the ribs on the first day. We have improved the templates for the ribs and there is very little trimming required now.

We also started applying cabo to three sides of the ribs in the fuel bay before they are installed, which provides a better seal from the fuel and eliminates all the work on the mouse holes that I went through. That way it's possible for one person to close out two wings in the first two weeks and the fuel cells are much better sealed.

I just ordered an industrial cloth cutting machine so we can cut the standard size tapes for you, saving you a lot of wear and tear on your carpal tunnels and time. You will still cut the odd-shaped cloth pieces so you know how to handle glass cloth.

We have been working hard to provide the setup and eliminate the boring repetive jobs so you spend as much time as possible on the actual construction jobs required by the FAA.

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:14 am:   

I think Tom H. and I were 3A. & 3B. thru the program; I'm not saying who was A. or B. but I'm flying. I had a helper for all sessions and actually took about an extra week beyond the BA to stuff and fit wings. But, LOTS of improvements have occurred to speed the process and it is a lot better organized from what I saw on my last visit. So, I agree with Roy's comments above. Doable in 6 weeks, but tiring. Better with a helper if possible.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: