Side stick in the future ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Side stick in the future ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jastrzebski
Username: Michal

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:07 am:   

Any chance that Express will offer one day side controll sticks (ala Cirrus/Lancair) instead of this floor mounted "thing" ?

Michael J.

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 04:08 am:   

Michael.
My present opinion is that I hope that Express do not go that way unless they can do it without the huge sacrifice of space inside the cabin.
I have spent consideraable time flying the Lancair lV and even though their cabin width at the skin is very similar to the Express, they lose about 4 or 5 inches on each side to accommodate the side controls and that makes for a very tight aircraft at the pilot/co-pilot position. You certainly need to be good friends with the person beside you because you are in constant "contact" with them.
The aircraft seats in the Lancair that I have flown are 16 inches wide with virtually no space to speak of for comfort in the centre. The manual gear extension pump is there with an armrest on it but I am always shoulder to shoulder with the other person. I guess, if you are a smaller person it might be OK but not for us big blokes (OZ talk). Our Express has 18 inch seats with a 4 inch wide centre console and armrest. I believe it would be impossible to achieve that comfort and space with side control sticks.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:31 am:   

I flew the Lancair ES and Express before deciding on the Express. In my view, one of the positive features of the Express was the center stick. Being left handed, the side stick is very clumsy when you want to write anything down on your knee pad unless you have an autopilot engaged or are flying right seat. With a center stick, flying with either hand is simple. Side stick is not too handy for us lefties, although it looks real sexy. But, being an experiemental, you can build it how you like it.

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:43 am:   

The factory has no plans to change from the center stick. It has a very simple and reliable mechanism. The yoke was a gimmick to make people think that flying an aircraft was like driving a car. I think the side stick is the same sort of thing.

I find it very comfortable to have the control where your hands naturally fall when seated comfortably instead of having your arm twisted to the side at the shoulder.

Strangely enough, the first airplane I ever flew with a stick was the Zenith 801 factory demonstrator and it was in the booth right next to ours at Sun n' Fun.

Michael Jastrzebski
Username: Michal

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:47 am:   

Thanks Kevin, everyone.
I had on idea that side-stick could steal so much space from the interior width of the aircraft.

Michael J.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:11 am:   

For what it is worth!
I installed a "center control stick (one)" and a quadrant on the left side. Very comfortable flying position and easier to get in and out of the seats. (No stick between the legs)
I will gladly help anyone who would like to use the system---it is a simple change and still allows the existing stick positions to remain under the seats so they could be used any time also. Please look at the link on my web page for "seats" and take a look. Anyone who has been in my Express agreed it was a nice change.
www.sierratel.com/jerico
Cheers, Jerry

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   

I agree with Gary re. left handed people in the left seat or right handed people in the right seat. Also, having the conventional stick allows you to steer with your knees when appropriate.

JK Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:02 pm:   

In responce to Jerry's posting above. I happen to be one of the proud new owners of N360EZ (Sjostrand Express) and now that I have been in the aircraft a bit I would certainly agree that this is a very comfortable way to fly. At first I thought that it would be difficult to get used to and would be very awkward but I have been proven wrong, the seating position and location of the armrests in relation to the stick and throttle quadrant make for a very natural and and effortless way to manipulate the controls. And like Jerry says ....the original mounting points for the sticks remain in place just in case you decide to use them. If anyone would like me to take digital photos of this modification and email or post them feel free to contact me and I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,
Jeff

JK Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   

In response to Jerry's posting above. I happen to be one of the proud new owners of N360EZ (Sjostrand Express) and now that I have been in the aircraft a bit I would certainly agree that this is a very comfortable way to fly. At first I thought that it would be difficult to get used to and would be very awkward but I have been proven wrong, the seating position and location of the armrests in relation to the stick and throttle quadrant make for a very natural and and effortless way to manipulate the controls. And like Jerry says ....the original mounting points for the sticks remain in place just in case you decide to use them. If anyone would like me to take digital photos of this modification and email or post them feel free to contact me and I would be happy to do so.

Thanks,
Jeff

M. Hunter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm:   

For what it's worth, I'll toss in my $.02

I think everyone's situation/desire is different, and the different control systems have their + and - 's. Having flown the Cirrus, Lancair and Express, I found Cirrus's side stick offered the better option for me.

While I do like the dual center stick's ability to fly with either hand, past that, I found the thing gets in the way as far as leg room, interference with my kneeboard and thighs (not being able to get full deflection without rearranging the body... that was a big concern to me). They also begin interferring with the passenger when you start whipping that thing around (that was the wife's complaint).

I found the Cirrus method the best for me as it's not near as intrusive, doesn't interefere with my (or my passengers') legs, kneeboard or thighs, and doesn't take up any hip space like the Lancair system does. You don't have quite the mechanical advantage laterally as the center stick arrangement, but the flight controls weren't really that heavy to handle. Being right handed, it didn't interefere with writing either. Even trimming it to out for hands off flying to scratch my right arm was easy.

But again, not to knock the Express's system, everyone has their situational preferences and needs... it just didn't work for me. Had I been left handed like Gary, then it may have scored much higher in the end for that sole reason of dual hand use.

Anyway, just my $.02

- Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: