Archive through January 07, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Electrical » Archive through January 07, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:51 pm:   

Early last fall, after flying our Express for about 2 1/2 years, the engine would come up on compression and stop while I was trying to get it started. I would let off the key, try it again and the engine would crank over and start. Thinking my battery was becoming weak, I bought a new one from Aircraft Spruce. I chose the gel filled battery with the most amp-hours of cranking power I could get in the case size I needed. After I installed the new battery, the engine didn't act any differently. That lead me to believe that maybe there was something wrong with my wiring, or with the B & C lightweight starter. After consulting with B & C, and running some voltage drop checks while cranking, they said the wiring and starter were in great shape, but the battery was weak. We told them the battery was a new gel filled battery and they said that was the problem. They said that I needed to use their gas regenerative battery, and that the normal gel filled battery couldn't provide enough instantaneous amperage to power the lightweight starter. That sounded like a snake-oil salesman's speel to me, but since I was out of options, I told them to send me one of their battery's, thinking I would be calling them back with the same problem after I got it installed. However, much to my surprise, with the new battery, the engine cranks so good that it makes you think it is going to turn the airplane over. It seems that they have come up with a way to allow the battery to unload the amperage a little bit more like a capacitor, and a little bit less like a battery. Go figure.

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:21 pm:   

Jim.
Interesting stuff.
What engine are you running?
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 04:16 am:   

Kevin,

Lycoming, IO-540, 300hp

Express had installed the proper battery, which lasted the normal lifetime. I didn't know any better when I bought the new battery, and I just went with the most cranking power, in the case size I needed, which, was equal to the B & C battery. However, the performance of the "normal" battery doesn't compare with the B & C one.

Jim

Rob Jordan
Username: Rob_jordan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:09 pm:   

Concord's RG series of batteries are gas regenerative. This is what were using in the tail of our IO540 express and it really cranks it. I went with this after reading some articles on different types of batteries. These batteries will also sit for months while retaining a lot more of there charge than wet cells or gel cells.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:37 pm:   

I also have one of the Concord Recombinant Gas batteries, and it works very well. Had a very bad flooding/cold start a few weeks ago and needed to re-try cranking several times over 10 minutes at about 10 deg F. outside, and it stayed alive - although it probably took years off the starter!

By the way, gel batteries are NOT recommended for airplanes - the vibration destroys them. The RGs are the best. Wet cells are a pain.

jharlow
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 05:41 pm:   

I'm almost afraid to comment since the battery could let me down tomorrow but here goes. I also have the Concord RG 35 amp battery and it has been in use for 2 years with no problems and several times I have not used the plane for extended periods. A friend across the runway has been using his Concord for several years in his RV 6 with the same great service. They will continue to get my business.
John

wayne norris
Username: Wayne_norris

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:36 am:   

Now you all make me feel cheap, I am using a sealed "wheel chair/scooter" battery.cost about 80 bucks from Interstate.

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:15 pm:   

What size and weight of battery was used for the IO540 engine?

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:12 am:   

see above, My Interstate Battery DCS-33 is a sealed deep cycle 33AH, 21#, and 8"Lx5.25"Wx7"H. yearand a half old,200+hrs and still going strong. mounted on the front left side of the FW. be sure to insulate the front side from engine/exhaust heat. I used a layer of fiberfax and reflective fiberglass heat sheild(from Jegs High performance) Their catalog is full of good stuff,fuel/oil line,AN fittings. The best savings is a 90degree vac pump fitting. they sell it as a hi-flow fuel fitting,15$ vs 80 from Airborne,

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:39 pm:   

If you want an aircraft battery, B & C Specialty Products model BC106-1 is a recombinant gas battery that holds a charge well and gives excellent cranking performance even in very cold weather. It is sold directly by B & C - (316) 283-8000. I believe this is the battery used by EAC.