Archive through August 30, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Landing Gear » Archive through August 30, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:33 pm:   

Hmmmm, if someone knows how to change the image that I uploaded, please email me!

Until then, here's the factory image. grrr.

Correctly sized image

-Eric

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:45 pm:   

For what it is worth, my secand nose gear leg was the thicker 3/16" and had the plate re-enforcement as shown in the factory picture. Upon impact it broke exactly at the end of the plate. The stub then made a groove in the pavement until it broke off at the "T" bar.

My first leg was re-enforced differently with a plate welded on top and was the thinner 1/8" tube and it bent into a "J" shape but never broke. Made a nice skid.

Cheers, Jerry

Which would you prefer?

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 09:56 pm:   

Personally, I'd prefer not doing either

So from that, would you say that I shouldn't worry about reinforcing my leg?

-Eric

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   

Eric;
I think I would not change it 'cause if you "dunk it" it is going to bend or break anyway. Many Express' have had this problem. Some only bent a little--but it is still bent. It would be interesting to have a count of those that have had a problem with a "hard" landing incident. Hmmmm!
Cheers, Jerry

Good luck

jharlow
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:35 am:   

The factory leg does not have gussts, that is a solid piece of metal thru the leg that appears to be gussetts. The leg that failed on Bob Kaz's Auriga showed insufficient weld penetration.
FWIW
John

Cyrus Ostowari
Username: Ostowari

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 01:57 am:   

Dear Builders,
I have started to build my CT after many years of storage.
I am in desparate need of information on the landing gear brackets that fit on Rib R. My shipment was missing these parts. I contacted Mr. Olsen, but he wants to sell me a new set of aluminium landing gears and the new brackets. I would like some one out there to provide some information on these brackets as I could make them myself. For example a photograph, drawing of brackets and material used ande the mounting method for the gear.
Thanka

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:49 am:   

Cyrus,

There is a very good reason Larry Olson wants you to use the new landing gear and brackets. That is because they are an improvement from the older design. If I were you, I would take his advice. I think you will be money ahead in the long run if you do.

Jim Butler

Brynjar Thordarson
Username: Benny

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 12:37 am:   

I need information that I can't find in any manual. How much does the new aluminium gear bend from "off the ground" to aircraft sitting on it's wheels? I know that with average empty weight to max weight it bends about 1°. With all the brackets in place and the wing upside down in the jig I get 10° difference from the axle to the lower spar cap. I find that a bit much and wonder if the gear really bends that much after the aircraft is assembled and sitting on the ground. Who has these measurements, please? I think this is an important thing to know as it's not easy to do this by trial and error.
Best rgds and happy building.
BENNY

wayne norris
Username: Wayne_norris

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 08:40 am:   

I would say there is atleast a 10 degree diff from the spar,but don't for get about the diheadral. At the skin opening the gear doesn't move that much so the opening can be farley tight. 1/4" gap. Bottom line is that all these planes are alittle different, so you will have to trim/shim your axle to get the proper toe in/camber. and then it will change after the first few landing. This is not something that you will set and forget in one afternoon. I didn't use shims, I milled off the face of my axles to fit. Have fun.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 04:12 pm:   

Bennie, With the airplane jacked up and level, set your gear for +88 degrees of camber. That's 2 degrees past plumb at the face where the axle bolts to the gear leg. When you set the airplane down on the gear after that, use a skid plate under each tire (2 pieces of aluminum approximatly 12x12 inches with grease between them). You should see about +89.5 degrees at the brake disk with no fuel on board. The leg will flex approximatly another 1 degree past plumb to -89.5 degrees when you fuel up. The legs seem to be consistant so far on all the one we have installed here. You may e-mail or call if you need further assistance.