Undercarriage Installation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Undercarriage Installation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Frederiksen
Username: Frederik

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:06 am:   

I am installing aluminum legs in the wings and am setting up 1 deg. toe in and 2 deg. camber by moving the inboard bracket leg to the appropriate position before drilling the four holes. I have bolted the axle to the leg and attached a 30" aluminum angle to extend the shaft length. I then dropped two plumbobs 30" apart to the spar height. Using the 1 in 60 rule measured from the spar centre line to each plumbob to get 1/2"=1 deg. toe in.
Has anyone done this or would like to comment.
I would rather not use a tapered shim as the bolt head and nut face do not sit true.

David Frederiksen

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:16 pm:   

The way to do shims is in pairs - 4 per wheel. One sets the nagle, the other makes the bolts flat on the other side, e.g. of the gear leg for example. That way the bolt heads end up flush - only go through the holes at a slight angle. If you set the angles with the brackets, you run the risk it will be slightly different under load.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:17 pm:   

The way to do shims is in pairs - 4 per wheel. One sets the angle, the other makes the bolts flat on the other side, e.g. of the gear leg for example. That way the bolt heads end up flush - only go through the holes at a slight angle. If you set the angles with the brackets, you run the risk it will be slightly different under load.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:05 pm:   

Dave, sounds like a great plan. Then after you get your wings bolted in and some weight on the gear and have rolled them to and fro a few times, you get to make up some tapered shims and install them. Or you can do like I did and mill the shim angle off the face of the axel and taper a washer for under the bolt head.
The biggest thing you have to be concerned about is that you do NOT get the leg end to far forward, thus lightening the nose to much and the ac wanting to tip on it's butt when landing with aft CG. I would have to look up my #s, but my nose is very light on rollout with aft CG.
Your fun is just beginning and it will take a couple times to get the wheels aligned. I have 280 hrs on original tires and brakes, but then about half of my landings are on grass.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: