Archive through May 23, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » CT top 1/2 conversion remains. » Archive through May 23, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:30 am:   

Anyone have a CT top aft of Station 174 they want to part with? I've done the homework, weighed the good and bad, and decided that a CT is perfectly acceptable for my purposes. OK, I'll admit it, the real reason I want a CT is because they're so sexy, and I've finally talked myself into one.

Anyway, if anyone has one in any stage of completion, let me know.

Thanks,
Bob

bob@wheelerexpress.com

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:06 pm:   

There was a top half in the "junk" pile when I was at the builder assist facility. Express has since moved their facility, but they may still be able to help you out if you make an offer. The tail may still belong to the builder that changed from CT to the unsexy look. Fellow CT enthusiast, N456TS.

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:59 pm:   

The remains of that mid-tail in the junk pile has been out in the weather for years and apparently been subject to folks "testing" the strength of fiberglass construction. It has been trashed along with most of the other junk out there in preparation to moving to a new, larger and much nicer manufacturing facility.

BTW, I too think the mid-tail original Wheeler design is a very sexy looking aircraft, however the fat bottom tail seems to work well with those huge engines we insist on hanging on the nose.

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:42 pm:   

I also am looking for a CT tail. I only plan to use a TIO-360 in my bird and would much rather have the smaller, better looking tail. Anybody out there let me know. I will travel to pick it up, and pay you for it. Bob and I are both within 40 miles of eachother, obviously since he posted first he gets first bid!

Rob Jordan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:15 pm:   

Not sure why everyone thinks the CT tail does not handle the six cylinder engines well. I have over a year of heavy flying on ours and I can say along with others who have flown the plane that elevator authority is not a issue. I have never used full elevator on landing and to do so would drag the tail even when solo. I did change to a push tube system we built instead of the original cable setup due to larry olsen suggesting it. he told me the cables never stayed tight and that he didn't think everyone was getting full throw on landing when the elevator had air load on it. I love my CT and when I compare speeds, Looks, Etc I like it even more. I found the issue with the tail wagging to be easily resolved and made the changes to reduce it to hardly noticible.I did mod the ailerons in such a way as to reduce the stick pressure to a fraction of what it was. we put S10 truck seats in it for comfort(great on those 5 hour legs) With these changes I find even the pickest people find it to be a joy to fly and the stalls to be no worst than any other high proformance aircraft I've flown.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   

Could you elaborate on your aileron modifications, either here or off line? I'd like to know what you did to lighten the load. I'm used to a 'Grumman' sensitivity (and F-15E, for that matter) and would like to improve this area while I've still got the plane under construction. Thanks

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:56 am:   

Rob:
As well, would like to hear more about the fix for the "tail wagging". Thanks.

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   

I have to support Rob's comments. I have the CT with the Continental IO 550N. Elevator authority has not been an issue. I have cables for elevator control. The looks get everyones attention.
Would sure like to hear the mods you made, Rob, to the ailerons and tail wagging. Especially the tail wagging as that really bothers my wife.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 08:55 pm:   

Yes, I too would like to hear about solutions to tail wagging, although I don't think it's that important. I used to own a V-Tail Bonanza - now that's tail wagging! The CT Express doesn't even get close by comparison. I've never heard of any solutions to tail wagging other than servo-based, or modifying for more area. What else is there?

The solutions for ailerons are well documented, including fattening up the trailing edge, to something in the range of 1/4 inch or so, or adding a swail (smal gradual hump about .060 to .090 high) just back of the trailing edge. Any others?

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:08 pm:   

For what it is worth! I flew my CT for 8 years and about 400 hours and never experienced a "tail wag". So what could be the difference? I had the TCM IO360 engine and some of you have the larger engines? Reinhard...Do you have "tail wagging" and when does it occurr?
Jerry Sjostrand