No More Turbine Retract Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » No More Turbine Retract « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 10, 2004rvz10 06-10-04  05:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CBROS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:58 pm:   

rvz:
Get a life. This is intended as a builder site. See if you can find something useful to add...
Bill C

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   

RVZ,

I don't know where you were when Roy and Nancy announced the changes, the status of the company, and the understanding of the past, present, and future of Express, but they did explain everything that needed to be explained. I didn't continuously check their web site for information during the ordeal because I relied upon this forum for information. The updates were presented in what I felt were very logical steps after the initial mayhem. If you take a look through the archives here, you should find a logical progression of information released to the builders as it became available.

As for a complete explanation of the events, I think it would be poor business practice to reveal the internal politics and discussions during such times as things can be misunderstood and taken out of context. The important thing is that Express is focusing on the FT and is intent on turning the company into a lean operation before expanding to additional models or whatever they choose in the future.

If you sign up for the forum, you’ll get notification when new information is available instead of having to constantly check back. That may help you avoid missing any new information in the future.

Happy building.

doug shell
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:26 pm:   

ill second that bill, sounds like rvzs time would be better spent being constructive.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:18 pm:   

RVZ,
It sounds like you are someone who is considering the Express, but is concerned about possible financial loss and company stability. Here's my 2 cents worth commentary on your dissertation above.

First, the financial concerns and stability - there are no guarantees of stability from any kit company. For example, before it's sudden collapse, the original Glasair for all practical purposes appeared in the marketplace one of the most successful going concerns.

But as a matter of record, I think all the escrow and loss problems occurred during the last Ken Wheeler tenure, a long time ago. I bought my plane right in the midst of that time, and the way to do it is to get pragmatic - decide on the airplane first. That's easy in this case and my opinion, the Express is simply the best option for four seats. Then "make it happen" and mange the risks - for example buy everything critical all at once, (and depend on the builder community for support if all else fails-a situation that hopefully isn't nearly as likely now as it was back then).

In regard to your concern about the current ownership, my perspective is that things are much better now than ever. I think that Roy and Nancy are finally bringing the proper mix of marketing, business sense, and most important - product focus, to keep a great design alive and head it to stable growth. As interesting as it was, I always thought the turbine was an unnecessary diversion. Let a few zealous customers who want that kind of thing do it, like Lancair has handled that direction. Some time back, when Dave Ulrich ran the company, there were numerous ridiculous diversions, like the cargo pod, that misguided the business.

Now, there is focus on the mainstream best cost/benefit for the customer and the company, and I think that is essential. I do agrre that straight forward communication and good customer support are very important and I hope that EAC shapes that front up as well.

Reinhard Metz

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:32 pm:   

First off, concerns are concerns. And someone shouldnt be chastised for expressing them. This is the only public forum for Express (though not by them), and as such, is the only place people with concerns can come.
No names, but there are three replies, and only was was constructive.
Dont scare away potential builders. Answer thier concerns and help build the community.

[quote]
, just as they didn't 'owe' anyone information on the turbine crash, or what the status was of EAC during the week that Allyn was fired, a board of directors announced, Allyn was rehired, board gone, and the 2 current players announce that they now own the company
[/quote]

rvz - As Eric stated, there was info given out - but only when there was actual info to give. In fact, I personally recieved a call from Roy during all the tormoil, told what he was wanting to do, and asked for my opinions. And I haven't even purchased one yet! (Waiting on health - http://home.wi.rr.com/midniteoyl/images/ ). As for the Turbine being gone, that was announced when Roy and Nancy took over. The RG is a new development, but there wewre rumors. I agree that there prolly should have been an anouncement.

Jim

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   

OK - 4 replies, two constructive :-)

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:38 pm:   

Looking at the x-rays, you definitely need to work on those landings, Jim :P

michal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   

just as they didn't 'owe' anyone information on the turbine crash,

rvz: what are you talking about ? Pretty extensive information about this crash is still available on EAC's site. I am afraid the rest of your post follows the same pattern - innuendos, sensationalism and deliberate smear campaign.

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:59 pm:   

OK folks, every just lighten up a bit. RVZ is entitled to his opinions and everyone else is entitled to respond to those.

I really appreciate Nancy Moon clarifying the factory's position on the turbine/retract. I think everyone has had their say and lets move on to construction and flying.

Tom

John Burr
Username: Jgbturbine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:08 am:   

I am currently building an Express 2000RG Turbine (PT6A-20). As far as I know I may be the only one doing so at this time. If there is anyone else out there who is building one of these please let me know.

For a little history - I purchased the kit approximately 2 years ago and was working with Larry on the development. I worked on the fuselage and empenage at my residence (Knoxville TN at that time) and when the new wing was ready I made a reservation to take everything up to the Build Center - I arrived for my first 2 week wing build session the very day that Larry Olsen died. I stayed only 2 days due to all the uncertainties and chose to wait until things calmed down and the future of the company was clarified. I had moved to Las Vegas in July 2003 immediately prior to this.

I was pleased to recieve a personal call from Roy Davis shortly after he and Nancy purchased the company to explain the new company policy on the turbine RG and the results of the accident investigation. Roy was very straight forward and honest in stating that Express was not going to officially support the turbine RG in the near future, but rather they were going to focus on the FT.

I believe that the company position on this was clearly communicated through the Express Web Site and through this forum. In addition, I think that the events concerning the turbine RG crash and Larry's death are explained on the Web Site - the aircraft design was not at fault. While I was disappointed that there was not going to be formal support for the turbine RG, I understand their reasons for it and I support Roy and Nancy's decision to focus their attention on the FT first and the conventional RG second rather than the turbine.

Since the turbine RG design is sound and I had already purchased my PT6A I decided to continue construction of the turbine RG. Roy and Allyn have been supportive in providing the cowling, the engine mount, and the retractible gear. I am on my own to complete the construction at my own hangar at the North Las Vegas Airport. There is no factory support for engine installation, etc.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who is interested in the turbine. I personally believe it will be an incredible aircraft - not as fast as a Lancair IV Turbine but I will be able to carry 180 gal of Jet A and 4 people for 1200 miles in a roomy cabin. I'll start posting photos and updates and hope that their may be other RG and turbine builders out there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: