Oshkosh 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Oshkosh 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:17 am:   

I bought my kit four years ago based mostly on the good things all of you builders & fliers had presented here and on other web sites. I got a great deal on the kit & couldn't pass it up.

I got my first ever ride in an Express last Wednesday at Oshkosh. N220NX blasted off at around 12:00 PM with me in the co-pilot seat. The pilot, Wayne Norris, gave me the stick after making our turn away from the runway as we headed towards the lake. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. I was finally flying one of these great machines.

I didn't fly the Express to any of its design limits. I pretty much went straight ahead with a few shallow turns as we moved along somewhere around 165kts with that goofy smile on my face. I only flew for maybe 10 minutes and told Wayne we could head over to Fon du Lac where he was going to drop me off. He looked at me like "Is that all your going to do?", and spun the plane around in tight steep turn to head to the airport.

I was curious to see how he landed it. There have been so many stories about dropping noses, broken gear, and other scary things. I was on the edge of my seat to see how the landing felt. Wayne brought it in and set it down like a feather (a feather at 70-80kts I think) and dropped me off at the building. He took back off to pick up his family in Iowa and then head home to Indiana. He uses his Express like most use the family car.

So today is Monday and I just returned from Oshkosh (by car) yesterday. I have already been out this morning uncovering my project, organizing my manuals and notes, and preparing to jump back into it after a long year of doing nothing on it while we built a new house and had another child. There's nothing more inspiring than a ride in the real thing...

In addition to that event, I did get to see some other Express's in attendance at Oshkosh. These are the ones I saw during the week:

Shaw's custom desinged retract.
Wayne Petrus's recently completed Express.
Wayne Norris was there (of course).
Reinhard Metz's N49EX.
Bob Kazmierczak's Auriga.
EAC 511EA at the booth.
Lou Lacy's (over at Fond Du Lac).

EAC put on a nice dinner with a new T-shirt for those in attendance on Thursday night. Roy and Nancy spoke about the new management and changes going on at EAC. There are definately committed to keep producing this exceptional aircraft!

Brian

jfharlow
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   

Stay with it Brian and someday there will nothing left to do but fly your project, I completed mine in March of 2000 (Auriga/Express) and still have a big smile every time I take to the air in it. Sorry I could not make Oshkosh this year to add to the completed projects on display. This is truly a long distance cruiser and you will never be sorry you buildt it.
John Harlow n540jb@earthlink.net

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:30 pm:   

... Going through my pictures and here's what I have from OSH 2004 for those who didn't go. Reinhard left too quickly so I didn't get his, sorry. I didn't have my camera at Fond Du Lac so I couldn't get Lou's plane either.

2004OSH

The Shaw retract has some unique differences from most other Express's. The obvious is the custom designed retract gear. He also has fowler style flaps (I think). Look at the hinges protruding below the wing.

The Petrus Express is fresh from the shop. You could still smell hints of curing resin and freshly sanded fiberglass dust . Some paint and upholstry is all that is left for this one. He's selling it for anyone interested.

Norris added wheel pants with paint and a completed interior since the last time I saw it.

Bob Kaz is still in primer and flys too much to paint it. He says he will get to it someday, but it flys so what the heck?

Back to the Shop!!!

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 08:44 pm:   

Ya know... I got stuck out in the Red Lot for parking and barely found the Express booth. Never could find the Express parking

Was glad I did make it to the dinner and meet some of ya though... was a good time even if I only got to see 511EA....

Jim

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: