Archive through February 19, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Aircraft Finishing » Archive through February 19, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob Jordan
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 08:08 pm:   

Has any one used the clear wing walk material on their plane? or now someone that did? how did it hold up with time? were you happy with it? thanks.

Jerry Sjostrand (Jerry)
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 09:38 pm:   

Hi Rob,
My opinion: Don't use it. It will show all the dirt very quickly. I used the 3M material that you can buy at the hardware store. It is available in black (which is what I used) or grey, which is what the Copelands used on their Express. 2 strips each 4 inches wide side by side with a small space between them and make sure you carry them far enough forward to cover the area you will walk on. The grey looks real good on their Express with the colors they chose.

I purchased the clear material from Aircraft Spruce, looked at it and returned it.

Glad you asked so others will get the message.

Jerry

Rob Jordan
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 05:48 am:   

Thanks Jerry. What a great tool this forum has become for the express builders.

LOUIE LACY (Llacy)
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:52 am:   

JERRY
What did you use to hold the wing walk material to the wing. I tried several times and at 230 IAS it peeled right off.
Lou
llacy311@tds.net

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 06:57 am:   

230 knots? :~)

Tom

wayne
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:28 am:   

I used that clear stuff before and it did turn dirty and black after a few steps. I now have the 3M gray, it looks good and is not as sharp/rough as the black.
Be sure to clean the paint with some alc. or acetone before you put it on.

amoghadd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   

Instrument Panel Paint
I am looking for suggestions about the brand and type of a lo gloss paint to use for the composite part of the instrument panel (I am powder coating the metal inserts). All the automotive paints I know are of high gloss type. I am planning to use a light color paint.

Thanks,
Ali

ali.moghaddas@boeing.com

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 06:45 pm:   

Ali,
most two part automotive paints can be flattened as desired with a compatable additive. If you buy your paint at an automotive paint shop, you should be able to get a custom color match and all the advice you need. A hint, have your inserts powder coated first, then get your paint.You won't be able to get a custom mix with powder like you will with the paint.
Good Luck
Ted

amoghadd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 09:32 am:   

Thanks Ted. I didn't know you can have a flattening agent added to the paint. Jerry emailed me a similar suggestion.

Ali

Sonja Englert
Username: Sonja

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   

I have added a new book to my selection of books for airplane homebuilders. This one talks about fabricating metal airplanes and components, incuding welding, forming, riveting and a lot more. It should be of interest for those building composite airplanes if you have to make metal parts from scratch. For more information see my web site http://www.caro-engineering.com.

The other books are about composites, engine installations and flight testing.

Sonja