Archive through October 07, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through October 07, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 11:50 am:   

Or you can do like I did in Sweden with Sven Eriksson: I made aluminum pins .005 undersize and used them for temporary until he was ready to "finalize" the Express wing mounting.
Jerry

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:16 pm:   

Some other suggestions - when it gets time to put the pins in for good: they are oversize by one or two thousandths, and you do NOT want to just pound them in - you want to pull them. In any case, they usually go in with some difficulty. So, there are two things to prepare - 1) make up a threaded rod puller arrangement to pull them through, and 2) store the pins in dry ice to shrink them some before putting them in. Be sure to use gloves, and move quickly, as they will warm up fast. That technique gets them pretty far along before the going gets tough.

Have fun!

Reinhard

Werner Maag, CH8174 Stadel, Switzerland
Username: Wmaag

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:02 am:   

Some other suggestions:
When my project was ready for the static load test of the wings (means actually loading the bolted wings on the turned over fuselage to 3.8 g) Henri Walser and I spent a good day's work on drilling the bolt holes and fitting the pins. First is rigging the fuse and wings correctly, then we drilled the first hole with a bushing to be able to start with a pilot hole smaller than the 1/2" pilot hole in the carry through. This drill bit and all the following ones must be long enough to go all the way thru, or have a hex end to fit an addition from a hexnut kit. Stepwise we took larger drills, kept the speed low to prevent heating and made the cutting angle steep near 90 degrees to rather mill the material than have the drill eat too much. The final drill was a 23 / 32 ", 1/32 below 3/4 " drill (which I found in a normal good hardware and tools shop in Hongkong). As the final step we reamed with an adjustable reamer to fit the greased bolt just snug. (Find the correct fit in some extra material) Attention! The first was too tight and we took the light hammers help, but when time came to dismount again to show the inspector also the still round holes after the load test, I nearly spliced the spar when pulling the bolt with a threaded bar arrangement. (the spar has play in the carrythru and cantilevered). I want to be able to take off anytime a piece of wing when necessary for repair, and fitting the bolts "deepfreezed" will let you destroy some major parts to disassemble. Reamer and 23/32 " drill are around 20 $ each.
Henry's wing we did last winter and all drilling and load test was fine.
Good luck! Werner Maag, Switzerland

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:22 am:   

I know others have successfully removed their tightly fit pins, but I think Werner's caution is a good one. On the other hand, I would suggesthat one makes sure that the pins are installed with some intereference in the fit, as ANY clearance, or for that matter, insufficiently tight (meaning that the normal stresses will "unload" the pin and create some clearance) will result in "hammering" and elongation of the holes, which can be a disaster. It's the same principle as the torque pre-load put on head bolts in an engine.

Jay Villalva
Username: Jay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:51 pm:   

Werner Maag,
Now that you mentioned it, are your photos of your load test available on-line? I thought I saw them before, but can't find them now.

AndyFawcett
Username: Drew

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 05:56 pm:   

Can anyone confirm the CG limits & stations for the 2000FT
(fixed gear - conventional tail)
I see from Reinhard's web site
74.69 < CG < 84.95
Front Seat 76.8
Rear Seat 123.1
Fuel 80.2
Luggage 150

This data is apparently from a CT; is it valid for an FT?

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:42 pm:   

For the 2000FT we use:

74.7 < CG < 85
Front Seat 77
Rear Seat 113
Fuel 80
Luggage 145

I can mail you an Excel sheet for it also

AndyFawcett
Username: Drew

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:53 am:   

Thanks Allyn - that looks like what I need.

kdennes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 02:04 am:   

Greetings all.
I wonder if someone has experienced the following problem in building their 2000. I am concerned that there is a bit of "slop", "slack" in the control stick in the forward/aft direction. The movement is where the control stick base (#112-24-007-01) fits over the elevator torque tube (#112-24-013) and is located with a 1/4" bolt. Since there is a bush through the torque tube and the control stick base is pre-drilled, I am surprised that there is this slack. I feel that when the engineer does the final inspection that he might request it to be corrected. Certainly, I have checked other certified aircraft today and there is not as much slack as in our case.

If you have encountered the problem and corrected it, I would be pleased to hear how you rectified it.

Regards

Kevin (from Downunder)

Ted Gaston
Username: Ted_gaston

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 08:02 am:   

Kevin,
Try increasing the length of the bolt so that the stick base hole rides on the full shank diameter of the bolt instead of the threaded portion. Compensate for the extra length with another two AN960 washers under the nut.