Archive through January 13, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Glass or Aluminum Gear » Archive through January 13, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:48 am:   

Many moons ago I got the fiberglass gear kit from Larry. This
included all the mounting hardware. The wings I have are not closed,
one with minimal work the other basically “out of the crate”.

My questions: (1) should I keep the fiberglass gear or switch to the
metal gear. Does the aluminum gear increase the GTW (engine is
a IO-540). (2) Has anyone had ordered parts from the suppliers listed
on the EAC web page?

Thanks
Joe Chisolm

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 09:59 am:   

Joe, I had the fiberglass gear on my airplane, and changed to the aluminum gear. I am very happy with the aluminum gear, and glad I changed. My primary concern was the lower part of the gear where the axle mounted. It was very thin, and I was always concerned that it would fail. After installing the aluminum gear, I like the stance of the airplane, and don't have to worry about the gear failing at the axle attach point. With the tail of the airplane higher, there is more of a pronounced rotation required for liftoff, but it isn't a problem.

Jim

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:31 am:   

I ordered some gear pins from EAMF and they are great to do business with. Sent me my pins with and invoice and no bill. Called up to find out how much I owed them. Got the bill the next day and sent out the payment. They were very prompt, courteous, and I won't hesitate to use them again.

Jeff

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   

Joe, I too switched from the fiberglass to Aluminum gear for the same reasons noted by Jim Butler. Heat can weaken the fiberglass gear at the axle attaching point which is why EAC put a big Al heat sink there. Also, toe and camber are difficult to stabilize with the fiberglass gear and I quickly wore out a set of tires. Another Al advantage is that the max. gross weight can be increased from 3200 to 3400 lb. according to Larry. The higher, more level stance of the airplane is also a big plus in my mind. The Al gear uses the same mounting hardware, so switching is not a problem, just $$$$ like most other plane stuff . Gary

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 05:38 pm:   

Joe, if you decide to go with the Aluminum gear, you should also reinforce the "window" in rib R where the outboard attach brackets bolt up.
The extra stifness of the Aluminum gear results in an increased moment transmitted to the wing and rib R will crack in the corner of the cutout and eventualy separate from the lower skin. It's much easier to beef up the installation before the wing gets closed out than it is to repair afterwards. This is especialy important if you are going to operate off of turf.

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   

I can second or third the praise of EAMF. They have done excellent work for me and are a pleasure to work with.
I have the aluminum gear and my wings are not closed out. Does anyone have a description of the recommended reinforcement that Ted refers to for rib R?

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 06:58 pm:   

You can call Woodford Phoenix Aerospace Manufacturing and talk to Treford about a "MLG Sandwich Plate" that he waterjet cut back in April. 360-736-9689 This will work on the old style wings.

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:04 pm:   

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like the
Aluminum gear is the way to go. Is the reinforcement of rib R just additional layers on the
outboard side or something more complex?

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 09:38 pm:   

Joe,

I made my own steel plates from 1/8" 4130 using the old Wheeler landing gear plates for templates. In fact, if you have the old wheeler plates, just cut the ears off and use those..

See my post from a few years ago:

Rib R Plate

I only put the plates on the outboard side. I figured since I Hysol'd them to the rib I was gaining a lot of strength.

Brian

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   

Here is a description of what I did on my already finished wings
I used 0.090" thick 18-8 (high strength) stainless steel plates & Hysoled in place(two plates per rib, inbord & outboard). Any of the 300 series stainless steels are acceptable (303, 304, 316, 321).
On the edges of the the reinforcing plate on the inboard rib, I roughed up the metal surface and glassed the corners with two layers off S-glass for extra measure(not shown in the pictures, probably, overkill).

Ali