Archive through January 20, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Glass or Aluminum Gear » Archive through January 20, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 05:45 pm:   

Why would anyone that has so much valuable information on the construction of the Express A/C want to remain anonymous? We are finding it difficult to complete our projects without the required materials, templates and constuction documents. So for those that have knowledge and experience to share, it would be very helpful to know who you are. GHW

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:09 pm:   

Carter, in answer to your question. It is rib R that manifests the problem. If you were directed to reinforce the inboard most rib (Rib J ????) then you have not addressed the problem sufficiently and I recommend either the steel picture frame application or a fiberglass reinforcement of the cutout in Rib R. Visualize the outboard attach points and how the twisting moment of the now much stiffer gear leg affects them and you will see the solution. It's not so much the upward motion of the gear leg as the twist applied under braking and when the wheel has drag forces applied like when you operate off of soft surfaces.

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 06:47 pm:   

Thank you Ted and Anonymous (I'm sure you just forgot to sign in!?!) We reinforced rib R and rib J with 6 layers of glass on both sides, ie each rib has 6 layers on each side - 12 total for each rib R and J. Do you think I should add more reinforcment to rib R? Although the wings are closed I could still add either steel or more glass.

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 07:39 pm:   

I agree with Ted, its good insurance if you can put in the reinforcements. If my wings were not yet attached to the plane, I would probably go ahead and put in the plates. Now that the plane is on the gear, putting in the plates is more challenging. Too many other things to work on.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:33 pm:   

Carter, if you haven't already done so, you will get more mileage out of wrapping the Rib R cutout with 4 to 6 plys of bid so there isn't any more cut edge exposed. The cracks will propagate from the cut edges.
Sounds like you did a pretty good job already.
Hope this helps.

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:13 am:   

Ted, I think Rib R in 511EA was built before I built those molds to preform the flanged reinforcing part that goes on each side of the rib. If I remember correctly, there is 11 layers on one side, and 9 layers on the other side. My airplane has the parts made from those molds, and doesn't exhibit any cracking on Rib R like 511EA.

Gary, as I stated above, my airplane doesn't have the metal reinforcing, but it does have the parts that were made from the molds. The good thing about these parts is that they have the flange that transmits the landing forces not only to rib R, but also to the top and bottom wing skins, and to the spar where they are distributed to the rest of the aircraft.

I too had a situation where the runway contacted the landing gear harder than what I desired and caused the pin to shear in the landing gear bracket, with no damage at all to Rib R. I would definitely recommend reinforcing like Ted suggested if you can't get your hands on the parts from the molds I have been discussing. The last time I seen those molds they were at EAC.

Jim

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:36 am:   

Jim, the crew at Rochester went back to cutting the rib R hole with a router and template shortly after T.S. took over production of glass parts. The last time I saw the mold you built it was under the bench in the hanger at OLY collecting cobwebs. I don't think Carters parts where manufactured with the Joggle like yours.
Good to hear from you. How's it going?
Ted

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 03:57 pm:   

Ted,

It's going well. I took a few days vacation this week to do the annual inspection on our airplane. Everything seems to be doing great. How's is going for you?

Jim

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

Lots of interesting work. My shop is booked out through mid May. Very little fishing but I finaly bought a boat. Grandbuddy is growing like a weed and Son is getting married in Feb. Other than that, pretty tame. I'll send you & Kay some pictures of the Grandbuddy, the wedding and even the boat.
Ted

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:17 am:   

Isn't that the way it goes. When you get busy enough to spend some money on the toys, you don't have time to use them. I'm not surprised you are booked up. The job you did on our airplane is fantastic, and everything still works great. Looking forward to your pictures. Our second grandchild is due around the first of April.

Jim