Archive through December 17, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through December 17, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 10:27 am:   

Stan: I had asked Allyn Roe about this over a year ago as I too have interest in adding this to the package. Allyn said that they needed to do a "drop test" before they could go forward with this. I have heard that there are a few abandoned projects still sitting in WA. I am headed out to Olympia this next Thursday to see what I can determine about bringing some closure to the present mess with EAC. I will ask/poke around and see what I can find out and then report back. But yes, I would be interested in adding the BRS to my machine if I can acquire the rest of the parts that I need to complete it. GHW

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

Stan,
I contacted the BRS folks several months ago about using the BRS on the Express. They took a look at the fuslage design and told me it would take about $4M in engineering costs, plus we supply two or three airframes for them to break. The parts they supply would be about $25K per airframe.

More recently I spoke to one of their young engineers and he said we could buy the parts and install them with our own design and own risk. It involves adding a tie point for the harness on the top of the fuselage back near bulkhead 162 and two tie points at the upper engine mounts. The harness has to be held in a channel down the side of the fuselage and covered with a thin fiberglass layer that gets ripped off when the canopy is deployed.

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 06:56 pm:   

Thanks for the info, Roy. Would those parts from BRS cost $25k or would they be cheaper since we are doing the experimentation?

Thinking about it, though, I'm not sure I would want to use the chute knowing that it's untested... If one of those tie points failed, it could be worse than coming down without the chute.

Martin Vandenbroek
Username: Martin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 03:18 am:   

Dear Express Builders,

Does sombody know the identification of the material used to manufacture the hinges for the ailerons, flaps and rudder for the Express 2000.

We are stuck with a partial kit and are missing also some hinges.
We can fabricate them our selves in the Netherlands if we know the correct material type together with the temper.

Martin van den Broek.

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

sure, the hinges are just MS20001P4 hinge, get it from your favorite aircraft parts supply shop like spruce or wicks or wag......

Martin Vandenbroek

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

Thanks Matthew, my fault, Flaps should stand for elevator.

For the type 2000 these are not piano hinges only the flaps are.

Martin van den Broek

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:03 am:   

Mathew is right about the Aileron and Flap hinge material but the rudder hinges are machined aluminum 6061T-3. You can get them from Steve Furgesi I think.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 09:09 am:   

Looks like we hit at the same time Martin.
The elevator hinges are machined parts also and you should be able to get them from Steve Furjesi. If not, he can put you in touch with Lyden the machinist.

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 08:56 pm:   

You should use 2024 Aluminum (That is what the Express hinges are machined out of) because of its better strength and corrosion resistant properties; especially since the hinges are exposed to the elements. Lyden can get these for you and I the he has them already machined.

Martin Vandenbroek

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:39 am:   

Hi,

Now I have two different materials for the hinges. 6061-T3 and 2024.

Can some body make sure which one is correct.

If it is 2024 what is the temper number.

Martin.