Series 2000 fuselage closeout Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Series 2000 fuselage closeout « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike AuClair (Maucl1)
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 03:58 pm:   

Has anyone closed out the fuselage on a series 2000? If so would you give a brief description of the procedure. Do you rely solely on the bolts to hold the horizontal stabilizer on or do you bond the stab on similar to the series 90 procedure? Or use both?

I have a series 90 manual but it is for the left side. No problem there but it seems that tapes and milfiber would make a stronger tail than just the bolts. Any help is appreciated.

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2000 - 05:17 pm:   

So far there are three Series 2000's flying. The factory demonstrator, Jim and Kay Butler and now Doug and Molly Hoff. All three use the bolt on horizontal stablizer. To my knowledge (I haven't attached my HS yet) there is no other attachment needed than the bolts.

I suppose you could do layups on the horizontal stablizer/vertical stablizer interface. However there isn't a vertical stablizer rib or spar close to bond to at that point. I doubt you would do any harm though, other than add weight with layups.

My Humble Opinion.

Tom

Mike AuClair (Maucl1)
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 08:15 am:   

Thanks Tom. I was hoping you had closed yours out. The bolt pattern seems so small as to be less than sturdy. I imagine the fairing layups after the installation will further strengthen the structure. The series 90 splice for the vert. stab is a good addition. I'll do it and let you know how it goes. Shouldn't add more than a couple of pounds.

Hans Georg Schmid
Username: Hgschmid

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 05:31 am:   

I need advice for the aft fuselage closeout of the EXPRESS 2000. Could anyone please answer those questions:

1. How many layups are necessary over the joints (inside) between bulkhead 162 and bulkhead 220 (top, side and vertical joint)?
2. Is there a sandwich construction advisable (necessary) as on the side joints in front of bulkhead 162 (top, side and vertical joint)?
3. Top joint between bulkhead 162 and windshield: Sandwich construction as on the joints of both sides in front of bulkhead 162 necessary?

On the outside I applied over the top-, the side- and the vertical joint behind bulkhead 162 4 plies of BID at 45°.

Thanks for a reply and merry Christmas to all

HG

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 02:00 pm:   

I didn't find in the manual, but Larry told me this, and I did. 2 layers on the joint in the joggle then fill with foam (2 part expanding) sand to match thenput 2 more layers of BID on top of the foam extending out past atleast 2". I layed my fuse on its side to make this all easier (misnomer) as I laid inside doing it. turn it upside dowm to do the top joggle aswell. That is a good time to make an overhead air duct as well. I taped in a 3/4"x4" foam form,put down a layer of masking tape along the sides,put on 3 layers of bid scraps, when it all sets , pop it off sand to shape and glass it back in place. I think there are pix of this in my gallery sec. now your over head chute is formed. It is easier to do with the fuse inverted.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: