Archive through February 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » General Questions » Archive through February 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 08:37 am:   

Martin,

I will have to do some looking thru my archives, but most of the information I have is for the original Wheeler. Also 2024 is stronger, but LESS corrosion resistant. So if you do go with the 2024 make sure to alodine and prime it at the very least.

Matt

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 04:54 pm:   

Well as long as we are talking about parts does anyone know where to get the lenses for mounting the
nav/strobe lights in the wing tip? I thought Tom Hutchison was able to make them.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 05:20 pm:   

A suggestion: Use the Whelan combo strobe units and forget the fancy lenses in the wing tips. The strobe units work perfect and the are easy to install.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 09:20 am:   

Ditto Jerry's comment. I'll add that the combo strobe/nav/tail (white at rear/red or green at front/strobe) units pull a total of about 6.7 amps for the nav/pos lights and just under 5 amps (not as sure--check the whelen site) for the strobes. Sure, you'll probably lose about a knott of speed from the drag...but they're a snap to put on with a long supply chain.

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 09:32 pm:   

I am using an HP Tablet computer to display WXWORX weather in the cockpit works great except for one thing. The computer keeps shutting down a few minutes after takeoff. I am able to reboot after several minutes but don't know why this is happening. My guess is the vibration from the engine. Any ideas??

LOUIE LACY

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   

I am using an HP Tablet computer to display WXWORX weather in the cockpit works great except for one thing. The computer keeps shutting down a few minutes after takeoff. I am able to reboot after several minutes but don't know why this is happening. My guess is the vibration from the engine. Any ideas??

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 09:40 pm:   

I would guess heat. How high are you going? Most electronics have a maximum altitude due to lack of cooling as the air is less dense.

If it were vibration, I would think the device would restart immediately. A good test would be to stick the thing on a seat. If it still shuts down, then I'd start looking at ways to cool it, if it doesn't, then you probably have a vibration problem.

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:22 am:   

Battery or adaptor powered? If adaptor (off planes electrical system) it could be due to a prolonged voltage drop. Them Tablets dont do well with low voltage.

Jim

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 11:32 am:   

Lou, I'm curious if you have done any testing to determine if the computer is generating any RFI and if you are seeing any interference with other onboard systems due to RFI. I don't think those tablet computers are all that well shielded and that might turn out to be a problem for you since there isn't any shielding between the aircraft antennas and the seat where you have the computer.
Also, are you sure the unit isn't going into hibernate or some other power saver mode?

LOUIE LACY

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   

TED
After the initial shutdown I remove the Tablet from the bracket I have mounted on the floor forward of the fuel selector and reboot while holding the Tablet. Now I reconnect the USB connectors one to WXWORX and the other to GPS and it works after that. I really think the problem is mounting the Tablet to a bracket attached to floor of the Express
LL