Archive through January 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Glass or Aluminum Gear » Archive through January 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 08:11 am:   

Jim:
My wings were built with the same preformed rib reinforcements from the mold you made so hopefully I can expect the same experience as yours. I'll be doing my annual soon and will let the forum know if I find any issues. Gary

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:20 am:   

Guys,

I have glass gear from the original Auriga sets (I think). They are the wider/fatter versions with the enclosed brake lines. Jim (in Virginia) sent me a set of reinforcement plates, which I did not install as the gear were already in place. So far, 60 hours on the plane and no issues or apparent stress indicators--and I did three flights AT max gross weight. Last weekend, while I was back home, I pulled the wheel pants to service the brakes and give everything a good look-over. The tires are showing wear on the inside treads, and from looking at things, it's the camber that needs to be adjusted. I suppose I could shim the axle attachment plates to adjust this, but want to make sure that's the way to do it. I didn't go up into the wing attachment area (hey, it was cold, even in FL last weekend). I'm guessing I could adjust the attachment to change the camber with a resultant 'lift' at the main axle line. Could I trouble some of you more seasoned Express gurus for some advice, then, on how best to adjust the camber of the mains?

Thanks.
Chuck

BTW--I'm in DC and watching the first REAL winter storm roll through (6 to 10 inches of snow). Hope to bring the bird up here in the spring...when I don't need snow shoes to get to the hangar/tie down.

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:21 am:   

Charles,
My glass gear was the same as you describe. I installed a spacer under the end of the gear leg where it bolts to the bracket, (between the leg and the bracket) which caused it to swivel somewhat and raise the tail of the airplane, and change the camber a little. It wasn't as much as needed though.

Jim

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:38 am:   

Guys: FYI, Last week Grove Aircraft sold the last of the Aluminum landing gear that were refused by EAC just before they closed the doors. I have placed an order for mine and they will will be available by April the 1st. They sell for $2000 a pair and take about 8 weeks to come out the other end of the pipe line. So if any of you guys are thinking about collecting up this part of your kit (again), please call Gail at Grove and place your order soon. They would prefer to manufacture these in lot order instead of one at a time. Steve Furjesi (EAMF) makes the attachment brackets for the legs and would be happy to provide these parts. Again lot orders would be appreciated by him as well. GHW

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Don't forget that if you change to the aluminum gear, that you will also need to change the nose gear yoke. The higher stance of the aluminum gear requires a yoke that is offset (down) to keep the airplanes' stance correct. Otherwise you will end up with a "nose-down" attitude. I'm not sure if Steve Furjesi makes this part as well.
Jim Ward

Gary Markwardt
Username: Gmark

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:48 am:   

Charles:
Shimming at the axle is the usual method for correcting camber & toe. I am not sure how effective it is with the fiberglass gear. Larry had mentioned that it is very difficult to get the fiberglass gear set because of varying flex under different loads. Others who have shimmed the fiberglass gear can comment better than me.

I shimmed the Al gear and it worked great. If you have the same axle as the later Express, it is a Cessna axle and shim packs are available from Aircraft Spruce, although pricey. A better alternative is to have your favorite machinist fabricate what you need. I have a sketch I could email if you're interested.

I went thru the original tires suppied with the kit in 120hr. I fliped them at 60 hr. and had zero tread at 120 hr. I had to shim the Al gear 3 deg. for camber and 1/2 deg. for toe. Zero noticible wear after about 40 hr.

Gary

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 04:39 pm:   

Steve Furjesi makes the nose gear yoke.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 06:34 am:   

You can also mill, I used a disk sander, the face of the axle at an angle for both toe and camber. Use a V block to hold the axle steady on the table. mark up the face with ink so you can see where you are taking off material, also scribe a line around the outside of the base 1/16" from the face for ref.
There are pictures of how I lowered my hose gear leg in the gallery section.
395hrs on my planes original tires and they have plenty of thread yet, as much as I travel it is not mostly on grass.

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

Thanks everyone for your help. That pesky "work" thing keeps me away form the forum (and project)
too much. I got the gear from Grove. A hit to the old check book, but the folks at Grove were very nice to deal with. As Gary W noted, it would be better if we could pool orders. I'm an ok welder but I dont do it enough to really stay proficent.
If the price is reasonable I'd much rather get a nose strut from Steve.

I got a rather nasy suprise regarding the windows I had stored in the hangar. I'm starting a different post on that subject.

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 03:12 pm:   

Thanks everyone for your help. That pesky "work" thing keeps me away form the forum (and project)
too much. I got the gear from Grove. A hit to the old check book, but the folks at Grove were very nice to deal with. As Gary W noted, it would be better if we could pool orders. I'm an ok welder but I dont do it enough to really stay proficent.
If the price is reasonable I'd much rather get a nose strut from Steve.

I got a rather nasy suprise regarding the windows I had stored in the hangar. I'm starting a different post on that subject.