N37CA Takes Shape Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Builder Pictures » N37CA Takes Shape « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 08:09 pm:   

Work is progressing well on N37CA. I bought the kit from Gary Malin last summer. My son, Andrew, and I spent two weeks at the factory building the wings last August. We had it shipped to Florida in September, where High Speed Composites is helping me finish the project.

We have chosen the dual screen Chelton EFIS with the Dynon D10A for a back up. This is a somewhat controversial choice since there are no gyros - vacuum or electric. I have installed dual alternators and batteries for redundency. The Dynon has an internal battery which will run for up to 2 hours in the worst case scenario.

Upon the advice of Jim Ward I have chosen Mazda Miata seats which I have reworked and recovered. The front seats weigh 31 lbs each, due to the seat rail mechanism, while the rear seats are 24lbs each.

Another controversial choice was the addition of winglets. You will see in the picture, that I will attach (as soon as I can figure how to reduce the size) that they have a small NACA scoop for fuel venting. I have retained the standard wing tips for use as a comparison once my airplane is flying. Boeing is installing winglets on the B737, and B757 which I fly for Continental. They claim a 3 - 5% improvement in fuel efficiency. I hope to see a dereased stall speed as well.

It has been a challange without the factory for support, but Steve Furgesi at EAMF has been very helpful with the metal parts. The only thing I am missing at this point is the nose strut, and Steve has told me that I should see it soon.

I hope to see some of the other Express builders at Sun N Fun this coming week. I have moved my motor home to a good spot there, and I will look for you there. My cell number is 772-834-1750 if you are going to be in the area. If you're coming to Florida please give me a call.

My engine choice was the IO540-K1A5 balanced with 9.5 compression forged pistons to produce 325 hp. This is mated with the Aerocomposites 3 bladed prop for what I hope will be a good performer.

I am anxious to hear how you all are coming with your projects. Take care,

Carter

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:16 am:   

Here's picture of the panel during testing at Aerotronics in Billings, MT. It should be delivered soon.Jpeg

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:51 am:   

Carter:
The panel looks great! Mine is about 3 weeks away, also from Aerotronics....(now I know why mine is taking longer...)
Been placing components on the firewall, and almost have the wing fairings on and finished.
Keep us posted.
Jim

Steve Christensen
Username: Stevec

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 09:26 am:   

Carter
Your panel looks nice. How fun to see it at this level of completion. Mine is at Aerotronics also. It has been just a couple of weeks from completion for some time now. I have plenty to keep me busy yet however.
Congratulations.
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: