HG Schmidt Express 2000 ER Load Test Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Builder Pictures » HG Schmidt Express 2000 ER Load Test « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 03:03 pm:   

This message and images was posted at the request Hans George Schmidt, Tom

Load test of an Express 2000 ER

On July 21 2005 my Express 2000 ER had in Switzerland to undergo the mandatory load test of wings and horizontal stabilizer. The preparation was quite demanding: the fuselage had to be turned to the back and in this position the wings had to be attached – not exactly easy… A special scaffold had to be built and to finish everything in time, two people were very busy for the remaining three days before the test.

100 pallets were ordered to build a platform needed to load almost 9000 lbs. of salt bags on to the wings. In the background a tent was built to house the horizontal stabilizer that was attached to a steel frame specially built for the occasion. Here heat was applied with an electric oven to have uniformly +54° C / + 130° F, while a total of over 1500 lbs. were loaded.

The wings were bending almost 14 inches while the horizontal stabilizer bent a good four inches. An exciting moment! The scaffold creaked somewhat but fortunately neither the wings nor the horizontal stabilizer, which would have been fatal. With the successful completion of the load test one more milestone is accomplished.

If everything goes according plan, the aircraft should be nearing completion by winter 2006/07 – a very ambitious time frame.

It is no myth that building and operating an experimental in the US is still much easier (and cheaper!) than almost everywhere else in the World. Therefore go to work and finish your projects!

With the successful completion of the load test the silver lining at the horizon slowly but surely gets brighter.

Hans Georg Schmid
Switzerland

picture 1

picture 2

picture 3

picture 4

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 05:28 pm:   

Congratulations HG. It is comforting to know that the load test was successful. Fortunately we did not have to do that here in OZ. We only have to do that if it is first of type and even then, only in 101-28 category; not in experimental if the spar components have been tested by the manufacturer of the wing and horizontal.

We look forward to photographing your arrival at YSBK sometime in 2007. We will pop the chanpagne for you after arrival.

Best regards.

Kevin (from Downunder)

Hans Georg Schmid
Username: Hgschmid

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   

Thank you Tom for posting the pictures in the correct format.
I am especially indebted to Heiner Walser (Swiss Express builder in France) who brought the scaffold and helped me to erect it for a full three days and to Werner Maag (he builds his Express close by), who was one of the heavy lifters. Together we are a real good team and I am most grateful for all the advice I received from both of them.
Kevin: I take you up on that bottle of Champagne. It still takes a while but I will have ample range to reach Australia. So watch out!

Some technical data:
1. Wings: total load 4500 kg / 9920 lbs distributed according to a load plan provided by the engineer. Maximum displacement LH wing: 345 mm / 13.58 in.; RH wing: 313 mm / 12,32 in. Both wings returned to their original position after offloading.
2. Horizontal Stabilizer: total load 860 kg / 1896 lbs. distributed according to a load plan provided by the engineer. Maximum displacement horizontal stabilizer: LH 28 mm / 1.1 in / RH 44 mm / 1.73 in. (inadverted movement of stabilizer possible). The test was done at 54°C / 130°F. The horizontal stabilizer returned to its original position after offloading.
3. All steel bolts (wing spar and carry trough) are going trough sleeves, which means installation and removal of the wings is absolutely hassle free.

Hans Georg Schmid
Switzerland

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: