Glen Farley's current status Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Builder Pictures » Glen Farley's current status « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Farley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   

Welcome to Ohio :-) I thought a few current pics of Glen Farley's project would be interesting. At this point, we're at the 99% done, 99% (it seems) to go stage! I'm sure you've all been there...hopefully by mid summer it will be ready for flight.

First shot:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0214.jpg[/IMG]

Second:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0216.jpg[/IMG]

Mike Farley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 03:19 pm:   

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0215.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0217.jpg[/IMG]

Power is a 200 h.p. IO-360-A3B6D out of a Mooney M20J, from the late Mod Works in Punta Gorda, Fl. I also included a picture of the new flap system...would anyone be able to tell me if I laid out the pushrods correctly? Also, does anyone have any completed pictures of their flap system using the same system?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/MikePGT/000_0218.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you All!!!

Mike Farley (son of Glen)

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 04:42 pm:   

Mike:
I also have a CT, and decided(after seeing an attempt to install the new system into a closed wing)to keep the flap motor centered behind the main carrythru. We used the outboard sections of the new system,which incorporated the needle bearings, and brings the system into the cabin. I am not sure if you can install the flap system with the wings attached.
Jim

Mike Farley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   

Jim:
That's very interesting. I was sorta thinking along the same lines as what you've done. There is an inspection cover in the approximate area where the motor should go, but installation would still prove to be very challenging. Do you have any pictures of your setup? Thank you for the suggestion!!

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 09:47 am:   

Mike,

Jim Lewis also used the new flap system but kept the actuator in the cabin. I have pictures of it somewhere and I will post them when I find them.

Nice looking Express! Think you'll make it to OSH this year?

Brian

Jim Ward

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:01 am:   

Mike:
I have one picture, but was unable to post it yesterday due to its size (for some reason, I could not figure out how to shrink it). I'll also take some additional pictures this weekend. By the way, the guy that tried to put the motor into the wing, opted to put it in the cabin in the end. Are your wings bonded to the fuselage?
Jim

Brian McKinney

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:14 am:   

Jim's wings are closed but not attached. He did all of the work through the landing gear hole and the inspection hole in the Rib R / Rib J bay.

Now that I think of it, it would be pretty hard to install in the inboard bearing bracket on Rib J if the wings were attached and fairings bonded.

Mine was easy since the wings are still open.

Inboard

Good luck,
Brian

Jim Ward

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:30 am:   

Brian:
Nice picture!
The only thing that I can see that we did different is that the in-board bearing (closest to the bottom of the picture)was mounted from the in-board side, and we put a nut-plate on the inside, and floated the bearing-plate on mill-fiber to get the alignment correct and smoothly turning.
Otherwise, I couldn't show it any better!
I do see the flap motor in the wing, which makes me wonder how you plan to service it if necessary.
Make sure you provide a LARGE access hole!
Otherwise, it looks good!(Except for the fact that it's still OPEN!!)
Jim

Brian McKinney

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:54 am:   

Jim,

Your torque tubes must be longer than mine if you were able to place the bearing on the inboard side of Rib J. I placed mine on the outboard side, did the mill fiber floating, and my outboard tube only inserted about 1.125" into the inboard tube. I will have a backing plate and nuts on the inboard side after I do the Rib J final laminations.

Inboard2

I put my lower wing skin on and practiced installing and removing the motor just through the landing gear hole and the inspection hole. I can do it, but it takes time. I will probably enlarge the inspection hole similar to how the 2000 has it.

Great! Now I have someone else (along with Norris) getting on me about my lack of progress...

Have fun,
Brian

Mike Farley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   

Brian: Not sure about OSH this year...it would be nice, but you never know. Keep your fingers crossed, and we'll see :-)

Jim: Yeah, the wings are closed and bonded to the fuselage. We still haven't drilled the flap torque tubes through the fuselage skin, so in the interest of making this as easy of a job as possible, I really like your setup with the motor attached to the back of the spar carry through.

Jim Ward

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Mike:
With the wings attached, you will either need to work thru the access hole, or open a larger one(depending upon your patience or threshold for pain) to duplicate Brian's setup above (less the flap motor arm). I added an early picture of my flap motor location. If I remember, I located it about an inch higher than the original instructions to get better travel for the flaps. Let me know if you need more pictures.
Jim

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   

Mike, I've got mine open for condition inspection if you woulk like to see it and take some pictures. It is at Urbana and I am going over this Saturday.

Mike Farley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   

Mr. Sack...thank you for the offer on taking a look at your plane! What time were you thinking of going over? Both dad and I may take you up on your offer. If you get a chance, call (614-595-3521) or email us a gfarley@columbus.rr.com or post here and let us know when you're going.

Thank you!! :-)

Jim Ward

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   

Everyone must be getting ready for Sun 'n' Fun, 'cause there's not much activity being posted here!
Just thought I'd post an update/milestone that we achieved over the weekend.
Plugged the wings in, with the new aluminum gear, and have official "air under the wings" (albeit low altitude!) for the first time!! Posting two pictures...1)An overall view, and 2)A reference to show the height of the CT tail. We expect the whole assembly to sit down a bit more after we add weight(engine, etc.), but damn!!,it sure is tall!! Major thanks to Shawn Kelley and Bill Copeland.
Wings Attached 4-2-05Wings Attached Tail Height 4-2-05

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   

Looks great Jim. You guys have been working hard. When do you hope to test fly it? I'm hoping to get mine airborne in July. If you're going to Sun and Fun I'll see you there.

Jim Ward

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   

Carter:
No Sun'n'Fun for me(they won't check my airplane thru a Commercial carrier - can you imagine!?!?!)
Sounds like you're further along than us. Have you gotten your panel from Gary at Aerotronics yet? Mine is still on the drawing board with them, but all of the parts are there.
Post some pics when you get a chance. No ETA for flight yet. Still too much to do! Good to hear from you.
Jim

Shawn Kelley
Username: Shawn_kelley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:36 am:   

We are getting ready to paint our Express. Does anyone have any internet sites or places to look for ideas?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: