Aileron Trim Tab Construction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Aileron Trim Tab Construction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 10:21 am:   

Has anyone constructed/built an aleron trim tab?

I have left my left aileron unclosed after the builder's assist in order to put in a trim tab. Any ideas, tips photos etc. would be appreciated.

Tom

Gary Markwardt (Gmark)
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:03 pm:   

Tom: Did you take a look at mine at Express? Larry says the size is correct based on his test flights so far, good authority without being too sensitive. I know the one on Jim's plane was too small originally & had to be modified. As far as construction goes, I'll let the others comment. Gary

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:45 pm:   

I took measurements of yours while I was at the factory. 12" wide by 2 3/4" deep. Based upon Larry's comments that is the size I will go with.
BTW everyone, Gary's new baby flew for the first time May 17th. I haven't heard any flight reports but Larry was smiling the next day. Unfortunately Gary was called away on a family emergency and missed the big event.

Congratulations Gary!!!

Tom

Gary Markwardt (Gmark)
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:13 pm:   

Thanks Tom & all the other builders who have helped us get to this point. Flight reports from Larry have been very positive so far. A few minor engine related gliches, but no problems with airframe or control surfaces. He's flown about 3 hours total & says it flies "straight & true". Slight up elevator trim in straight & level flight which is understandable with the present forward CG (no rear seat or interior trim installed yet). Aileron trim works great. He hopes to do some max. gross weight flying next week. Gary

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   

I am debating to install electric trim on the aileron or the rudder. I am leaning toward the aileron. Because of the fuel unbalance in the wings (I have 4 tanks, the outer tanks should remain empty 95% of the time). I am thinking about installing a bendable tap on the rudder.

Suggestions from builders (flying Express with installed aileron or rudder electric trims) are appreciated.

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 03:44 pm:   

Ali,

Well I am not flying yet but I decided to go with both rudder and aileron electric trim. I almost have the aileron done and the Rudder is done. After talking to quite a number of people I decided it was worth the trouble.

Tom

ali moghaddas

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:52 pm:   

Tom,
What is your rudder trim tab size?

Ali

Phil & Margie Hodge
Username: N410mp

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:40 pm:   

Ali -

I also have 4 tanks, and don't recommend either aileron or rudder trim. I have electric rudder trim, and never bother to use it. Climb doesn't last long enough to worry about. Don't have aileron, and have never missed it. I normally switch tanks every half hour or so, starting with whichever outer tank is on the heavy side, and that seems to work just fine.

Phil

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 05:49 am:   

Ali,

I have electric trim tabs on all three, and love them. I adjust the rudder trim full travel prior to takeoff, and then the only rudder input I have to put in is for whatever crosswind is present. I find the aileron trim very useful to balance out when I am by myself, or have a heavy passenger on one side. I use the elevator trim to arrive at any airspeed and vertical speed I desire.

Jim

ali moghaddas

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:43 am:   

Thanks every one for your great comments.

After going over your comments and additional suggestions from Jerry, I have decided to install the trim tab on the rudder. Engine size/ hp (IO-540, 315 hp) was also a factor in coming up with this decision.

Now, if either, Tom, or Jim (or other folks with rudder trim) suggest a size, I can get started on the trim tab construction.

Thanks every one for your great comments.

After going over your comments and additional suggestions from Jerry, I have decided to install the trim tab on the rudder. Engine size/ hp (IO-540, 315 hp) was also a factor in coming up with this decision.

Now, if either, Tom, Jim, or other folks with rudder trim suggest a size, I can get started on the trim tab construction.

Ali

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 11:20 am:   

I will be at the airport tomorrow evening. I'll measure the tab and let you know what it is.

Jim

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 08:12 am:   

Ali,

I measured my trim tabs as follows:

Rudder: 8" x 3"
Aileron: 12" x 2 3/4"

Please note these have NOT been flight tested yet. I decided on the aileron size after copying what EAC had put on Gary Markwardt's S2000. The rudder size I arrived at after discussing it with Jerry S.

Tom

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: