Forward Shear Web Laminations / Rib Q... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Forward Shear Web Laminations / Rib Q & I « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 04:29 pm:   

Hello everyone. Is anyone out there still building??

I'm currently working on Rib J & the flap controls in the right wing. I had to "prefinish" Rib J before closing the wing so I can get all of the new flap hardware installed. I made flanges on the aft shear web, installed the aft wing attach plate (inside only), and have installed Rib J. No problem here. I am planning to do the mill fiber squish at closeout to bond the LWS to the flanges. (see my website if you are interested...) Express Project Update Page

Now for the questions...

Question 1:
I want to "prefinish" ribs Q & I and the forward shear web laminations also to avoid having to do layups through the access holes after closing. My plan is to use release tape on the LWS & put it in place, qcell & laminate the shear web (front & back sides as per manual) to make the bonding flanges. Qcell & laminate Rib Q (again making flanges against the LWS), and then remove the LWS after all cures. Now I can install Rib I & make a false skin (like Rib R & J) to make a bonding flange for it on the inside.

Will this be "strong" enough? I just want to make sure that the mill fiber squishing will be of adequate strength since I am not actually laminating the layers to the LWS. I am thinking I will be OK, since it appears that is how the 2000 is being built. I just want some agreement from experienced builders to make me feel better.

Question 2:
At Oshkosh, Doug & Molly Hoff let me check out their building logbook. I noticed that the fuel lines came straight back through Rib Q & I instead of make two 90 degree turns as the originals do. Anyone see a problem with this? It looks much easier to me. They did have to make a few bends to keep the lines away from the aileron torque tube. I could do this to mine if I "prefinished" those ribs as outlined above.

Thanks & hope to see other posts here soon!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: