Fiberglass Type Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Fiberglass Type « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bruce McGlamery
Username: Bnmcglamery

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 03:30 pm:   

Can someone tell me what the specs or type is on the Uni cloth used on the Express? I know the Bid is 7781 but I can't seem to find the numbers for the Uni.

Bruce McGlamery
Winter Springs, FL

JimHurd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   

I just purchased the Express2000 damaged in Canada and I plan to rebuild. I need any information regarding where to purchase the materials needed to get started.
I am located in Statesville NC, 45 miles north of Charlotte NC.
Would welcome any help from you experienced people out there.

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   

Jim,

My friend and I have a large database and growing of specs so that you can build your own parts. Let me know what you might need and I will see what I can get you. Also, what does a wrecked Express go for?

Matt

Brian McKinney
Username: Bmckinney

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   

Hi Jim,

From the pictures and from what I heard of the accident, a new set of wings and firewall forward might get you well on your way again. The panel, tail, and interior look good.

Fortunately for you, those are the "old style" wings, which you can probably find a pair for free if you look around a bit.

Good luck!

Brian

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:13 pm:   

Brian, Jim. When you say that those are "old style wings" you are both right and wrong. While they are not the latest production version, there is a significant difference between those wings and the "old" style (S-90 and before) wing. The wings on that wreck are S-2000 production wings and unless some one has scrapped thier project, you will neither find replacements nor can you build new ones without fabricating your own tooling since the wing molds for that series were modified to make the "R.G." wing.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:39 pm:   

Ted:
Does that mean that old-style wings will not fit? Unless the carry-thru has changed, I would think that the old style wings would fit. I know that the fuselage was 'thickened" to accomodate the thicker RG wing/gear, but I would still believe that the older wing can still be married to any of the fuselages.
Set us straight.
Jim

Brian McKinney

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:45 pm:   

Thanks for the information Ted. Is the general shape and spar the same? I only really saw an open 2000 wing (pre-retract) at SNF or Oshkosh back in 2000/2001.

From what I remember, the 2000 wing had a removable leading edge, an internal forward shear web in the fuel area, and different fore and aft shear web attachment hardware. Oh, and different hardware for the aileron and flap.

I modified my Wheeler wings (pre-closeout) to use the new landing gear brackets, flap hardware, fuel probe.

Brian

JimHurd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:59 pm:   

Thanks Guys
I only know the aircraft was build in 2003. I don't know what revision these wings are.
Question..Why can't the wings be rebuilt If there are no other options.
As to the cost, 60,000 to 70,000. is close. The panel is really nice.

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 03:08 pm:   

Jim,

If I remember correctly, that airplane is pretty close to my airplane. If you would like, you are welcome to come and look at mine and take all the pictures you want. Also, you can make a copy of my construction manual with the pictures we took while we were building.

Jim

Jim Hurd
Username: Jim_hurd

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   

Thanks all

If anyone knows of a set of wings please let me know. If anyone has repaired the wings I would like to talk with you.

Jim}}

Lou Addessi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:33 pm:   

I have a pair of wings that are the original express & the ribs were installed by the second oweners of the express comany. The gas lines are installed with float sensers. I paid 3k for the wings & another 4k to have the ribs & gas lies installed. I would like to recover some of my cost & will settle for 3k plus shipping. If interested I can send pictures. I'm located on LI,NY.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   

While the original wings are close. I don't believe they will work without substantial rework. The distance between the fore and aft shearties is slightly different. The origional spar is the same and the spar pin location didn't change from the Wheeler design through EDI to EAC. The method of attachment for fore and aft shearties is different. And, if I'm not mistaken, from looking at the pictures of the wreck. One of the main spars was chainsawed to remove the wing for transport. If that's the case that one is scrap!!!
All in all it would seem that modifying the old Wheeler wings are your best bet. I hope there wasn't any post crash damage to the carry through.

jimhurd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 06:14 pm:   

Lou thank you, I will need some time here to sort all out. The spar was broken as wing was torn off during crash. Right wing. The carry through has no damage.
Can a spar be removed from wing, rebuilt and re-installed.
I would rather pay the 3K if the wing was the same. What kind of changes am I looking at to use the old style wings? What are the advantages of the new design? Keep in mind all the hardware is there and useable.

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 07:46 pm:   

Once the unidirectional glass on the spar cap is compromised, the wing is scrap.
I would be real carefull about that carry through. If the wing took enough of a whack to break, there's no telling what else got broken. At the very least, the carry through could be separated from the fuselage. That would be bad!

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   

I agree with Ted’s comments on the carrythrough structure. In addition, there was crinkling at the empennage so you do not know the extent of delamination in the skin and rib locations. Impact loads will delaminate the glass from the foam easily.

Its nice to pick up a cheap project but I’d keep your passengers in the back of your head. There was a lot of salvageable components including an awesome instrument panel. I’d search for someone’s old glass kit, transfer the components into it, and then trash the old airframe. I dont belive that aircraft can be safely rebuilt.

Jim Hurd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   

Ted
Can you give me a bit more information about the attach points on using the older wing on the 2000 express? Do I have to have special hardware to do this job? Any help is appreciated.

Brian McKinney

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 01:34 pm:   

Jim,

The old wings had two aluminum attach plates that sandwiched the fore and aft shear webs on the inboad end of the wing.

The plates slipped through two slots in the fuselage on both sides of the fuselage shear webs which also serve as seat supports. A single bolt is then used to tie the plates to the fuselage shear web.

As Ted mentioned earlier, the position of the fuselage shear web is extremely critical so that these wing shear web plates matchup perfectly.

Here's a picture I have of the aft plates on my wing when I was installing my Rib J.

Plates

Have fun!
Brian

Jim Hurd

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 02:22 pm:   

Thanks Brian, but can I attach the late model attaching brackets to the old style wing and leave the fuselage alone??
Great picture, Thanks Jim

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 03:09 pm:   

Jim, short answer, no. The new wing has an extension of the shearweb that protrudes past rib J. This extension has 40 lb. foam core for compression strength that allows you to attach the new bracket part with a single 1/4" cross bolt. The extension gets trimed to fit during wing installation.

Brian McKinney

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 05:37 pm:   

The last 8" or so of my "old" wing shear webs are 40# foam and they protrude out to the end of the wing skin past Rib J.

Larry told me a few years ago that I could use the new attach brackets with the old wings, but he suggested to just stick with the old stuff to save money since I had all the parts...

Brian

Jeff Dingbaum
Username: Aviators

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 07:09 pm:   

I'll second what Brian said. My wings are the same and I had the same discussion with Larry. He said that the new attachment was easier, but I would save
money with my orginal brackets.

Jeff

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 11:55 am:   

Jim Hurd;
My name is Jim Lewis and I'm in the Richmond Va area and invite you to visit for a weekend and look and compare what you have with mine. Have an early Aurgia (Series 90) with wings completed and also have good help with Lou Addessi ( had to say that because he reads this page too) an making great progress towards completion. Lou has a set of wings that may help you a lot. Some one said and I think I would agree, Find a builder that has decided to quit, buy his kit use what you can off of what you have and you'll be well ahead of the game, with a more positive end results. Call me on 804- 457-9135 JIM

Sean (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:41 am:   

I am helping build an FT elevator and the manual calls out for 1/2" foam. This seems to be a standard in most of the sections. Does anyone know what type of foam is use Urethane, Divinycell etc. Also is there a specific density? Any help is greatly appreciated!

jorge baccaro
Username: Jabaccaro

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 05:02 pm:   

Hello
I writing from Argentina were I brougth the plane from USA, I put in flying on March. Yesterday I got an accident without any injuries, but a wing was broken at level of the inner tank. Also there minor damage in anothers parts of the plane.
Also I need a new front landing leg.
But I haven´t any planes, so I like to get more information, for looking the posisibility for repearing or if somebody has a wing, then I would be interest in buying.

Chaz King
Username: Chazking

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 02:53 am:   

Jorge,

I have a nose gear that I bought from Express factory last year but did not use; used the "old" one after magnaflux indicated it was good.

Regards,

Chäz

Gary H. Wolfelt
Username: Wolfelt

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 07:23 am:   

Jorge: Darrell Peterson (Composite Aircraft Technologies) a/k/a the factory has everything you would need to put your airplane back together. He can be reached at 360-864-6271. GHW

jorge baccaro

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:03 am:   

Hello Gary
thanks for your answer.
Do you know the email adress? because is easier for me (because language)
Thanks again.

jorge baccaro

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 07:55 am:   

Hello Chäz
my email is jabaccaro@yahoo.com so we don´t use the forum for comertial matter, could you send me a mail?

Ben Baltrusaitis
Username: Freepistol

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:17 am:   

Jorge, I'm sorry to hear of your accident, however, it is good news that no one was hurt.
Good luck with your rebuild.
Ben

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:22 am:   

Glad to hear there were no injuries. If you could explain what happened, we could all learn.
What version Express do you have(cruciform/Series 90)?
I have a complete CT kit available.
Jim

jorge baccaro

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:43 am:   

Thanks Ben and Jim
I want to remark the stronghtness of the fuselagge, I landed in a very hard zone, and the a tree stop with the left wing. I get out without any problem.
it is a cruciform but the tail was change in 2007.
The problem was with gas, but we have to determinate what was wrong.
The left wing was almost cut at level of the union of exterior to middle third, but the anchoring is o.k. Jim what´s your opinion, change the wing or repair?
About you kit, is assambled or not? could you sell only one wing?
Thanks again

paul mikaelsen
Username: Pmikaelsen

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 03:40 pm:   

Hi I live in LaPaz Bolivia and I have a compleet fiberglass landing gear for an Express 2000. my e-mail is <pmikaelsen@gmail.com> Paul Mikaelsen

jorge baccaro

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 05:09 pm:   

Thanks Paul
The landing gear was change for the new version.
Nice to know that there is another plane near to me, in Argentina this is the only one. Could be sometimes joint us, after being flying again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: