Original Wheeler Spars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Original Wheeler Spars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rvz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 01:59 pm:   

I've noticed that the wing spar center section inside the fuselage is brown on my plane, and black on another I recently looked at. Can anyone shed light on why this might be?

Thanks,
Bob

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 08:44 pm:   

I would guess its due to the color of the resin when it was "promoted" I have noticed some differences in resin color between batches. Not sure if there is any corresponding difference in mechanical properties when cured.

BTW, mine is brown on my 1999 vintage Series 2k kit from EAC.

Tom

Sven-Ake Eriksson
Username: Sven

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:46 pm:   

Hi
I have noticed a difference in colour also, but in my case it is due to using clear or colored MEKP. At first I got a red coloured catalyzer wich produced a dark brown layup colour. Last time I got catalyzer wich was clear and that produced a layup that appeared greenish instead! As I mix my own resin base with conap and DMA I can say that my resin looks slightly violet due to the conap. That resin becomes greenish when adding catalyst. In either case the strength will be the same for cured layups.

Sven

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: