Vertical stabilizer closeout splice Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Vertical stabilizer closeout splice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike AuClair
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 05:12 pm:   

Does anyone have a series 2000 vert stab closeout splice? This is another one of the parts that the factory refused to send to me inspite of the fact that I paid for, "all materials needed to complete the tail conversion". This is a part that is about 3 feet long and 2 inches wide. It acts as a splice between the two halves of the upper fuselage aft of the bulkhead and just forward of the vertical spar on the series 2000. It attaches to the left half of the vert. stab and provides a bonding surface for attaching the right side during the final close out. I may be able to build it myself if I could see a good picture of it and had some good demensions. I would also be willing to reimburse someone to make a female mold from it for me.
Since I have no assembly manuals for the series 2000, (another item not shipped by the factory) I am proceeding with the series 90 instructions which indicate that this splice is part of the kit. Can anyone help me here?

Bob Gisburne
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2000 - 08:00 pm:   

Mike:

I will look through my construction pictures when I get home. I had to make mine as well (EDI was the mfgr. then). Its not too hard actually. I made it out of 1/2" foam, put 4plys on each side. I then made a 1/4" foam template so it was easy to sand to the countour, then traced the 1/4" template onto the 1/2" 4ply.

This should be the same tail closure as the "Builder Assist Program". They should have this documentation available.

I'll forward an email when I check my photo album.

Bob Gisburne
N4382A

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 07:15 am:   

I came accross the following on the Lancair Mailing list today. It appears that other, larger, more well known kit manufacturers have their own problems with parts delivery, quality etc. This despite full page, full color advertising in national magazines. :}

So can anyone tell me about what's happening with the vertical stabs,
rudder, and instrument panels, for the ES's? Mine have been on backorder
for 7 months, and every time I call to check, I get the same answer. "Looks
like a couple of weeks" I've been hearing that for months now, and it's not
very acceptable. I realize that the mold was not straight for the old tail,
and that the new tails have the cap strips, and rudder more finished than
before, but I didn't hear that from the folks at Lancair, I heard it from
another builder. I don't mind waiting for a better product, but I haven't
gotten a straight answer yet from Lancair. Three weeks ago, I was assured
my instrument panel would be shipped that very day I called. I still don't
have it. Again, the old panels had problems, so I certainly don't want one
of those, and I'll wait for the new ones, but nobody seems to know what's
going on at Lancair, with respect to these items. Is anyone else having
this problem?

Bill Copeland
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2000 - 07:03 am:   

Tom:

...and then there's Stoddard Hamilton!!
Count your blessings.

paul mikaelsen
Username: Pmikaelsen

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 05:18 am:   

I have a series 90 fuselage with a 2000 tail on it. Could anyone tell me how many layers of cloth I need on the spine of the vertical stabilizer? Also how many layers of laminates are used on the outside when joining the upper and lower half of the fuselage? Thank you,

Tom R. Hutchison
Username: Tomhutch

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 06:53 am:   

Paul,

I don't remember exactly how many layers we used on the vert. stab. spline. At least two layers I am sure. On the outside of the fuselage upper/lower seam we didn't put on any. However, at Jerry Sjostrand's suggestion, I put one layer of 3" cloth over the seam to prevent future cracking under paint. It really isn't a structural bond, more asthetic.

Tom

Larry Hoppe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:48 am:   

Does anyone have the EDI EXPRESS ASSEMBLY MANUAL Section 6 - EMPENNAGE which has photographs that are the originals? If so, I would like a copy. Please contact me at larryhop@att.net. Is the vertical stabilizer assembly of the auriga the same as the S90?

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:23 am:   

Larry, I have an Auriga and had no instructions relative to rejoining the vertical tail after cutting it away. Talked to Larry Olson on the subject telling him how I planned to do the splice and he agreed with my approach as follows: I waxed the outside of the vertical tail thoroughly (as a mold release) with the halves together and put 3 layers of fiberglass about 4 inches wide on the outside of the joint. When hard you can pull it off, marking it so you know where along the seam it fits. Trim it symmetrically to about 3 inches wide and cut it at convenient lengths to allow you to handle it and fit it around bulkheads and ribs. The contour will be very close to the inside contour and it can be clamped and mill fibered on to the inside of the vertical tail to act like a joggle when you bond the other part of the vertical tail. Although Larry didn't tell me, others have suggested 4 layers of glass on the outside of the seam after bonding. Forward of bulkhead 220 I plan on foaming and adding 2 more layers of glass like the fuselage seam. Probably not needed for strength but it will clean up the appearance of the seam on the inside and I'll need to do it for the side seam joggle anyway.

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:35 am:   

I forgot to add that I used the vertical tail spar and ribs for the series 90 so I had to remove the vertical tail foam where the spar fits and do some fitting on the ribs. That allows me to remove the horizontal tail. I'm not sure exactly what the original intended internal structure was for the Auriga but I understand the vertical tail structure was more like the original wheeler in concept and required the horizontal tail to be glassed in place.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: