Aircraft Seats Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Aircraft Seats « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2000 - 07:51 am:   

The following came from the Lancair Mailing List. Hal Woodruff is putting together a "group buy" of Confor foam for seats. Confor foam is simular to Temperfoam that was developed for NASA. It is used extensively in the military for long duration flights and for wheelchairs. If anyone is interested in participating in this "buy" contact Hal directly at woodruff@swefco.com.

Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:28:30 -0700
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
Subject: Confor Foam seat "buy"
Message-ID: <B552A2BE.CA6%woodruff@swefco.com>

Approx. 1 month ago I made the offer to put together a group "buy" of Confor
foam for seat cushioning. Since that time I've been busy putting together
the details of the purchase. To date I've had 35 individuals respond with
interest in the purchase totaling approx. 120 seats of foam.

This morning I sent out the details of the purchase to those 35 individuals.
Just in case anyone else missed the earlier discussion here is a copy of
today's email.

----------------------
Hi All,

I'm ready to place the order for the foam seat material. As I related in
the last communication, the foam for each seat will consist of:

1 piece .75" x 18" x 40" pink (low stiffness)
1 piece 1.00" x 18" x 40" blue (med. stiffness)
1 piece 1.00" x 18" x 16" green (high stiffness)

The price delivered to your address (UPS ground) will be $94.00 per seat.
California destinations will need to add 7.75% sales tax. (Sorry about
that). Please make out checks to AirCushion, Inc. For anyone out of the
continental U.S., contact me and we'll figure out what the freight would be
to your location.

I will actually place the order for the foam on June 7, 2000. Please send
your check for the number of seats you wish to order by that date. Also,
please email me with your intentions so that I can get an idea of the size
of the purchase. Then based on the response I'll tailor the "buy" to match.
Expect delivery in 4 to 6 weeks.

In each shipment I'll include a letter that describes how to work with and
fabricate the foam (cutting, gluing, storage, etc).

I hope that covers it. Email me with your individual questions.

jerry
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 10:34 am:   

Fellow builders:
More info on obtaining temper foam for your your aircraft seats. I called Oregon Aero in Oregon and they gave me the name and number of a supplier in Kansas who will sell you the materials you need. Oregon Aero will not sell the material to you.
Contact: Jim Fix @ 402-470-2346. Foam for one cushion (18"x16") is $72.00 plus shipping. They ship immediately.
That includes 1 each of the soft, medium, and firm 1" layers (3" total). You may not need all 3 layers. In my case, I am expecting to use the soft over the firm for a compression of 1" to gain some head room. I was told this should be fine, however, I am making a separate temporary cushion to try the different combinations before "sewing" it up. Once done, I will post the results on the forum. I have been flying for 5 years on conventional foam and I am finally making a change to gain some comfort. (Long overdue and I suggest that "all" of you do it right the first time).

Good luck with the upholstery jobs.
Jerry Sjostrand

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2000 - 11:06 am:   

For those still interested in seat foams, I stopped by the Hi-Tech Foam booth at Oshkosh & talked to Jim Fix. He has a sketch for the Express seats recommending a laminate of 1"x18"x40" of CF42 soft pink on top, CF45 blue medium in the center & a smaller 1" x16" x 18" layer of CF47 green firm foam on the bottom. The green firm foam is to be positioned under the hip bones. Price quoted for two seats was $288. Jim or Janice Fix can be reached at (402)470-2346 or www.seatfoam.com and reside in Lincoln, NE.

I happened to go with a fellow EAA'er who has used Hi-Tech Foam in his Thorpe T-18 & HIGHLY recommended it. His only complaint was that it took awhile to form fit in the winter which can be an issue in Michigan! Good luck.

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2000 - 01:18 pm:   

Gary see my message above. I received my order from Hal two weeks ago and it looks and feels great (Confor Foam, identical to Temperfoam). The total cost for 4 seats was $376.

I am working on designing and machining a hinge for the front PAX seat. When that is done and installed I plan on having them upholstered in cloth. Don't like the feel of leather on these hot days.

Tom

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2000 - 02:34 pm:   

Tom: I'm actually using standard upholstery foam in two layers of high/low density on mine. Much less costly although the results may not be as good. We'll see. Pilot seat is about done & feels great. I went with leather, although I prefer cloth. You almost have to step on the seat cushion to get in the airplane & leather seemed more practicle in that regard.

I believe the Hi-Tech foam is the same as Temper Foam too. Seems it is a bit more expensive, however. Just thought I give everyone a source in case they didn't participate in the special deal offered above.

I bought seat back hinges from Express for the passenger seat. VERY VERY expensive. I wouldn't recommend them although they may work great. I'm just getting ready to install them now.

Gary

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: