Door Handles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Door Handles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2000 - 08:01 am:   

Bob Reed http://RobertR237.virtualave.net/ announced on the KIS Builder's list Express was going to sell it's new door handle design to non-express builder's. Robert posted pictures of the prototype door handle on his web site under "Random Ideas". Below are the pics he posted.

New prototype door handle

Gary Markwardt
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2000 - 09:17 am:   

I saw the new Express door handles at Oshkosh. They look terrific. The word "EXPRESS" is cast into to outside lock lever which isn't real obvious in the photo -- at least on my lousey monitor! The hole in the lever pocket can be drilled out to fit a door lock for those wishing some added security. Gary

John L. Pels
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2000 - 11:07 am:   

Does anyone know whether these latches are easily retrofittable on the CT with single door?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Bob Reed
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:42 am:   

Hi, my name is Bob Reed. I just discovered this newsgroup and was plesantly surprised to see my name appear several times in various posts. I must get around more than I thought.

I would first like to correct the web address posted above to my new banner and pop-up free site.

www.kisbuild.r-a-reed-assoc.com

I would also like to point out that the KIS builders have obtained some new flush door handles which should be very adaptable to the express as well. They are manufactured by Lyle Hendricks of Hendricks Manufacturing (www.HendricksMfg.com) and are beautiful. My web site contains one detail set of photos and instructions on their installation with a second to follow soon. Check under Tips-and-Tricks for a link to the sections.

PS: There might be a few additional tips-and-tricks of intrest as well.

Rob Jordan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 06:54 pm:   

Does anyone have one of the wheeler T handle door latch handles laying around? I know a lot of you used other types and I need to buy one of these. let me know thanks.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 09:22 pm:   

Hi Rob,
The "T" handle latches were junk. Don't bother if you can change to something else. Otherwise, make sure everything is beefed up, specialy the "T" handle as the original material wasn't strong enough and twisted out of shape easily.

Jerry

rob jordan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:56 am:   

Thanks Jerry but I am married to this thing so if anyones got one please let me know.

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 02:03 pm:   

Has anybody found a good system to lock the Express door handles? Although it's been a little cold in MI to work in the hangar, I would really like to install some sort of locking device, just to keep the honest people out if nothing else

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:38 am:   

Does anyone know where I can get cabin and baggage door hardware for my Express 2000? Without a company to turn to its kind of tough.
thanks.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 11:47 am:   

Many of us got our door hardware from Glassair. That my still be do-able.

As far as locking goes, I used a miniature lock from the McMaster-Carr catalog, and made up my own mechanism, which caught hold of the latch mechanism on the inside. The keyhole is under the handle.

Carter A. Smith
Username: Carter_smith

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   

Thanks Reinhard. I'll check with Glasair. Your lock sounds neat. Id like to do something like that myself.

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 12:52 pm:   

I recently installed one of the door handles from Hendriks Manufacturing (noted above). I've been meaning to post pictures but haven't gotten around to it. Its a great product. Well designed, very solid and incorporates a lock. Also easily installed.

Kevin Dennes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 04:40 am:   

I thought that I might let you know what I have done about locking the doors. Since we had received the standard door hardware from EAC, I was not looking to purchase other handles.

Our aircraft normally is in a lock-up hangar and therefore we only really needed a locking device when we would be away from home base.

In "Door Lock 1" you will note that there is a countersunk hole in the handle. This is so that a 3mm security screw can be inserted and screwed into the body of the assembly. Only the body is tapped and not the actual handle. "Door Lock 2" shows the security screw in place and "Door Lock 3" simply shows the screw and a key as well as a screw driver tip that fits the screw. It is important that the type of security screw that is used has a central pin in it so that other small allen keys cannot be used. I guess it is not as quick as a lock and key but it sure is simple and takes me 7 seconds to insert the screw and screw it into the flush position. It is less likely that snoopy people would have such a tiny "key" for the screw and they cannot drive a screwdriver into it like is often done to the lock housing of conventional locks and then by simply turning the screwdriver are able to open the door. The main thing is that they are unable to raise the handle at all when the screw is in position.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)Door Lock 1Door Lock 2Door Lock 3\

Mark Rich
Username: Mrich

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 07:04 pm:   

I finally got around to photgraphing my door handle installation. I replaced the original handle when it broke with the hendricks latch that includes a lock. Nice product, I highly recommend it.
I also added a third door pin in the center of the door (I had substantial bowing and a big air gap). You can see the bell crank I fabricated using a couple pieces of 1/8" Al and a bushing. I also replaced the aluminum push rods with steel (3x the stiffness lb for lb).
After a couple of tries to get the third pin aligned between the door and the frame (I have a CT so only one door), I determined the best way to do this is simply cut a slot all the way through the door and frame so you can set the sleeves in mill fiber from the outside. Patching the hole after the fact was much easier.
email me if you want details or dimensions

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: