Body Working Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Composite Construction » Body Working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 10:59 am:   

I am working on body filling and finishing the wings at this point. I have finally found a great material for filling. Now my question for everyone is: How much filling is necessary on the wings? As you can see from the photo below I have been building up quite a bit in the areas between the ribs on the bottom skin. In the largest area there is a depth of 1/8 to 1/4 inch between the ribs and the "depression" between. Is this much filler too much? Of course who wants the weight, but will this give me problems later on? I will probably cover the area with 1 bid of light cloth. Any opinions, suggestions etc. appreciated.

Tom

Right Bottom Wing Skin

jharlow
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 06:06 pm:   

Tom,
I didn't have the same problem between the ribs.
What I did have was a large area on the top and bottom of both wings along the main spar. It pulled down because of the mill fiber squish and the weight applied while bonding. I think this a problem we all have so check this out also. By feeling from the LE to TE you can feel a flat area over the spar area. Also if you feel along the fuselage above the split line and aft of the rear windows you will feel a slight flat area. The top mold that came from the Auriga group has a slight different radius than the old Wheeler bottom mold.
I remember the days all to well,
John

Bill Copeland (Cbros)
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2000 - 07:05 pm:   

Tom:

Ah yes, finishing.
If you are trying to get the lower side of your wings precisely straight you are really sort of wasting your time and adding unecessary weight.
I say this because if you will look at any EXPRESS with full fuel tanks you will see that you will be able to tell exactly where each rib is as the lower skin will bulge significantly from the weight of the fuel. (unless you have the new wings with a thicker foam core)
I personally would not recommend the application of any filler material thicker than perhaps 0.0125 inches. Any thicker than that I think you should consider layers of fiberglass. We did a good deal of work to get our wings "straight" and think it paid off in the speeds we are getting, but we were careful to take almost as much filler off as we put on and used sanding boards three to four feet long. Plus, of course, lots of elbow grease.

Bill C

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:26 am:   

I have a "soft spot" for lack of a better term just aft of the leading edge on my right wing inboard next to the fuselage. I have a bad habit of sitting my "big butt" in this area when getting into the aircraft. My question is should I sand this area and lay extra layers of glass instead of trying to fill the low spot?
Lou Lacy

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 06:44 pm:   

Yes
and if you can put some expandable foam inside there. But let me tell you what I did and then maybe you can do something like it. First I made a triangle out of my wing fairing and then fill it with foam after that I glass the hole fairing onto the wing this has made a very strong fairing that I sit on a lot. And if you can get some of the old Coupland brother new letters it will be in there to

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: