Dyna-Cam Engines Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Dyna-Cam Engines « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 - 06:13 pm:   

The following was posted for Ed Watson. I too have been intrigued by the Dyna-Cam engine (http://www.dyna-cam.com/).

Tom

Is there anyone that you know of that is considering the use of a Dyna-Cam engine? I have been, and if there is I'd like to share thoughts. Seems to be a bit of a challenge, but the engine has some really nice features. I've been in contact with them and been to their facility at Torrance. Their current engine, a fixed pitch engine has been FAA certified, with a TBO of 3000 hrs and their upcoming engine will have a wet shaft for a CS prop, but they have no FAA "Production Certificate" so they are still classed as Experimental. While that part doesn't bother me like it would a Cessna 172 driver, it is just too new to be completely comfortable with right off the bat. They are close enuf to San Diego to be reasonably accessable so I've not ruled them out either. The engine has about a 50% parts count of a Cont. or Lyc, and should be cheaper in the long run. 'Tis a low rpm engine (2000 max, cruise about 1600-1700 with the torque of a Continental IO-550 at takeoff !). It is effectively a 12 cylinder unit and is water cooled so it should be quiet, and not prone to shock cooling nor need spoilers to descend, using the engine/prop for braking. Ayway I'd like to find another Express builder/owner/engine expert to share thoughts.

Ed Watson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil & Margie Hodge (N410mp)
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2001 - 06:44 pm:   

DISCLAIMER: What follows is only my opinion. I am not attempting to sway anyone towards or away from purchasing a Dyna-Cam engine or from dealing with the company. I am simply explaining some of the reasons I have decided not to deal with them.

I, too, was intrigued by the engine. However, for 10+ (I think) years they have been saying that they have engines available for sale. And they have sold several. They have not, to my knowledge, actually delivered any. In my humble opinion this is not an honorable way of doing business. At Sun-n-fun this year they were there claiming they had 12 completed engines at the factory waiting shipment. However, they were at the show with a foam mock-up, not a real engine. This further lead me to believe they were not telling quite the whole truth.

Buying an airplane engine requires a certain amount of faith in the manufacturer. I would not trust an engine that came from a company I did not trust. I wish them well and hope their engine does everything they claim. We need new and better engines. However, I will not buy from them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: