IO-520 Induction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » IO-520 Induction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   

I have an IO-520K that has the downdraft induction. It currently pulls the air from the left aft jug. I am giving some thought to converting it to the induction that is on the ID-520D, which has an Y intake near the bottom of the aft part of the engine, and draws from the bottom.

Is anyone using this model of engine on their Express? If so, any issues with interferance with the engine mount, FW or other.

Anyone know where I could get the retro parts...I'm going to check with the C185 folks as I think they use the "D" engine.

Al Kittleson

t

Roger Spencer
Username: Roger

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 04:57 am:   

I'm using the IO-520D for mine. My engine did come out of a C-185F. EAMF fabricated my mount for me using the engine itself to ensure no interference with the engine accessories, cowling, or induction system. It is close to the gear but will clear with an inch or two to spare(at least with my mount), You do have to come off the induction system with a tee or right angle bend.

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:19 am:   

Any chance I could get some dimensions? I have some pics of my installation, with the current intake removed. If I can figure out where your lower-center nosegear mount is in relation to mine, maybe I can figure it out.

Whe you say "come of the induction" do you mean the intake to the "y", or the output from the Y to the sides of the engine intakes?

It looks to me like the D and K are the same from the Y to the side-rails to the jugs. There is a large 90 degree piece that goes on each side to make the turn from the center Y to each of the rails.

Also, where did you put the air intake in the cowl..mine has been drawing air from the plenum on the top of the engine.

Al

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: