Turbo Charger addon for Lycoming 360 IO Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Turbo Charger addon for Lycoming 360 IO « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert G. Tompkins
Username: Drbob

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   

Dear All,

I am on a xcountry from Florida to California and had to stop in El Paso due the high density altitude and mountains. The performance of the airplane in climbs is terrible and the general opinion is that this aircraft should have a turbo-charged engine. I remember seeing turbo charger addons (kelly aerospace, for example) has anyone experience in putting a turbo on a Lycoming IO 360? What are my alternatives if I want my Express to climb better and above 10000 ft?

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:39 pm:   

Bob...
I think we are all interested in how your high oil temp problem turned out...first.

You have not begun to fight heat problems, as compared to what you may experience with a turbocharger...

If you're going to mountain fly, performance is important, but not as important as preparation and patience.

The easiest thing you could do is to put in a 300 HP+ engine and forget about the blower...or change airplanes...

Just my $.02.

What do you expect for 200 HP...?

If the plane is capable of sustained flight to 12,000, I suspect your solution would be with the planning and patience part of the equation. Not many mountain airports of an magnitude will have less than 7,000' of runway...you should be able to get airborne with that...after, it's much about the planning and technique.

What technique did you use coming out of El Paso...? Flying coast to coast in the winter should be no big deal, even in the airplane as it is currently configured.

Just some thoughts,

Al Kittleson

Robert G. Tompkins
Username: Drbob

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 06:06 am:   

Dear Al,
Thanks for you comments. The oil temp went as high
as 270 and the motor starting cutting out. We had to do an emergency landing at El Paso (4000 MSL). The engine is being looked at by mechanics here and I am hoping to get out in the next two days. My suspicion is that the aircraft should have been able to perform with a 200 HP motor but clearly this is not the case. I have taken your 2 cents on board and that is probably my plan. Thanks again, Robert

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 06:54 am:   

Robert...I'm sorry to hear you are on the road with an engine problem...Just so you know, I think the consensus on oil temp limit would be about 240F.

The thing you cannot determine initially when you overtemp an engine is the extent of the potential damage, without tearing it down.

If your engine had been cooling properly, and with proper planning, I expect your winter x-c with this engine would have been well within the aircraft's capabilities...

Good luck and be safe.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: