Lycoming TIO-540 For Series 90 (or Ex... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Lycoming TIO-540 For Series 90 (or Express 2000) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Odum (Podum)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 08:24 pm:   

I am thinking about purchasing an older Express kit and finishing as a Series 90 or Express 2000.

Can I run a turbocharged, 350 HP, Lycoming 540 in the fixed gear airplane ?

I'd like to be able to go up higher - in the 20K range and cruise.

Paul

Rick Spriggle (Rspriggle)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 10:06 am:   

This doesn't answer your question, but I have a 1989 lower fuselage and wing kit for sale cheap. If interested e-mail me at tricky@epix.net.

Rick

Bill Copeland
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 05:23 pm:   

Paul:

You are asking a serious question and should probably ask it directly to the kit manufacturer. I suggest you contact Larry Olsen at Express Aircraft. On the other hand we may have builders with engineering expertise who feel they may want to volunteer an answer.

Bill C

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 06:29 pm:   

Hi Paul,

The Series 2000 RG can use the TSIO-550 310 HP engine according to the web site (http://www.express-aircraft.com/Aircraft%20Specs.htm). Check with Larry as Bill suggested to find out what the structural differences are. The Express kits have made steady refinements over the years with the most significant ones being in the last few years. Larry is the source for information on everything. Just be ready to be bombarded with details! When looking for a kit, remember that the final hardware kit is where a majority of the price is, so take that into consideration on partial kits. Also consider that you will be doing a lot of work on your own if you don't buy a new one from Larry.

Let me know what you find out, as I have an Aurgia Express, so it would affect me as well. I currently have an Auriga Express with an IO-540 mounted to it. I'm currently debating rebuilding this core and getting the Hartzel CS prop or doing my own auto conversion. The auto-conversion weight and power will be a little greater than the TSIO-550 that you want, so the same structural items will apply to me. I’m expecting to finish sometime next summer / fall if the economy recovers soon, later if it doesn’t.

-Eric

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: