Engine mounts, is there a difference ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Engine mounts, is there a difference between CT and Auriga? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Astrom
Username: Stefan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 02:50 pm:   

Dear Express-friends!
I am finishing off my Auriga (N100NM) which has been repaired after an accident in Germany.
Instead of buying a new engine mount for the LYC IO360-C1E6, I took my engine mount for the old CT kit. After engine has been reinstalled the engine and prop points upwards and does not align with the cowling anylonger.

Is there a difference in engine mounts between CT and Auriga?
Or has there been a change in thrust line between the CT and the Auriga?

Is there a possibility to shim/put spacers between the engine mount and the firewall or the engine and the engine mount?

Please reply asap as we right now are stuck!

Thanks,
Stefan Astrom

Picture of cowl and engine/prop

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 04:11 pm:   

Some engine mounts are offset upwards and to the right to counter the P factor. Not sure about any difference between kits, my CT firewall is square and perpendicular to the centerline of the plane. I used an engine mount off of my Bellanca Viking which had a Continental IO520 300 HP, and it is offset about 2 degrees right and 1.5 degrees upward. I assume you could shim the engine mount to get the engine back in the original hole. It is possible that the original plane cowling was made to fit the offset mount.

Stefan Astrom

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 02:19 am:   

So in this case it seems like the Auriga corrected the angle of the firewall to have an engine mount without offset, and when we use an old CT mount this will make the engine mount point that much upward and to the right...
Is there a rule of how much we can shim the engine mount?

Jimmie Kevin Alderman
Username: Vikingpilot

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 03, 2013 - 06:06 pm:   

I would expect that your Auriga has a squarely mounted firewall, and the CT has a firewall that is offset. I see no reason that you can't shim the mount away from the firewall to square it up if you use a solid shim i.e aluminum, and a method of mounting that will prevent movement. If I were the designer I would recommend a 2" high by 2.5" wide aluminum piece with 2 through bolts- one in each end- that attach it to the firewall. You will need a backing plate on the inside as well. After this is in place, move the mount back to its spot and drill a hole for the engine mount bolt. Looking at your picture and remembering my dimensions I would think you would need to shim the top starboard side approximately 1 inch and then fill in the other mount points with aluminum shims as needed. I would anticipate that the port side lower mount would be the only one that doesnt get shimmed at least some. Another alternative that is probably better would be to keep the offset and re-work the cowling. I am not sure of the power of your plane, but I do know that the offset is very beneficial in higher power aircraft.

1968 Bellanca Viking
Serial number 16 Wheeler CT IO360
SN unknown 1999 Wheeler CT powered by a 325hp Mazda Rotary

Kevin Alderman

Joe Chisolm
Username: Jchisolm

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 03:29 pm:   

The firewall on a CT is square at STA 34. Any offset would be in the engine mount. If you set it on a level floor and use a plumb bob you can probably measure the offset. Never done any shims on a engine mount so I cannot help you on that one.

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 04:11 pm:   

Are there any Series 90 or Aurigas out there flying behind an IO360?

Stefan Astrom

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 12:53 pm:   

We still are having some issues with the engine mount...

It has been installed in the aircraft again and the only problem we have now is that the rear mounted fuel servo cannot be attached as the adaptor is pointed downwards and are to long.
I measured the engine mount and there is a difference in length on them and the new one that was installed is obviously a little bit shorter than the previous...

I am looking for a shorter and a straight one, or preferably a fuelservo that could be mounted directly on the engine. Does anyone know anything on this issue?

The engine is a Lycoming IO-360-C and the fuel servo is mounted in the rear of the engine.

Please reply asap as the aircraft otherwise is ready to fly...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: