Engine Air Induction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Engine Air Induction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Christensen (Stevec)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 02:41 pm:   

What are my options for air induction to the engine? What are the pros and cons?

I have a IO 540 Lycoming engine, and Express with a CT tail, and a Wheeler cowling. The forward elbow provided by Larry Olsen does not fit in the cowl. I see some, for instance the Copelands have an intake on the front of the cowl. The EDI documentation had photos of the air coming from the bottom of the air inlets. I like the idea of positive preasure to the inlet but what about freezing the filter and thereby blocking the airflow?

Bill Copeland
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:02 am:   

Steve:

Out here in CA we don't worry a lot about ice, but it can be a problem. We do have an alternate air door (which has not been tested) that we will rely on when the time comes.
As far as alternatives - Larry's adapter is "square" so that you could point the fuel servo to either side, or to the rear for that matter.
Bob Gisburn has mounted his induction air behind a NACA scoop and filter box on the right side of his cowl. I will see if I can find pictures for you. It would work just as well on the left side.

Bill C

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:12 am:   

Hi Steve,

I also have an alternate air-door on a fiberglass housing mounted to the fuel servo. It is spring loaded (and has quite a bit of force on it). The idea is that if the main air supply (from left cowling NACA scoop) becomes clogged for any reason, the air door will open to allow enough air for the engine to run.

Let me know if you want pictures.

-Eric

Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:20 am:   

Hi Bill

Thanks for your help. Yes I would appreciate pictures. Did you fabricate your alternate air door and is it operated manually or is it automatic?
Thanks again

Steve

Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 08:25 am:   

Eric

I like the idea af a spring loaded door. Pictures would be helpfull. Eric or Bill let me know if you need anything to defray your costs. Following is my address and Email.

schriste@rconnect.com

1245 110th Ave
Pipestone, MN 56164

Thanks

Steve

Larry Hoppe
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:35 am:   

Glassair's construction manual provides details on constructing an induction system including filter and alternate air port for an IO-540. I could scan and e-mail these pages to you.

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:39 am:   

What are the owners of IO550 engines doing about alternate air? Larry says they don't install one in the factory aircraft. I have made up the complete assembly like those in the photos issued by the factory. Still, it makes me a bit nervous not having alt air as a precautionary function. I would be pleased to hear from those who have installed alt air and some photographs or drawings if you have done so.

Merry Christmas to all.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 06:33 am:   

FYI, I saw on the Lancair list an airbox for IO-550's that is made by a company in Florida.
Airbox

The company is Top Flight Service. It doesn't look like it includes an alternate air door.

Tom

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:07 pm:   

Sorry for the delay, I somehow missed a few emails on here during the rush this week at work.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the aux air door and fuel servo for my plane. The air comes in through a NACA scoop on the pilot side, is filtered by an automotive filter, and then goes through SCAT tubing to the fiberglass elbow and then into the fuel servo.

-Eric

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   

Front
Door

Eric Holmberg (Erich)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   

Sorry about the size on those pictures. Think of it as getting to read the Wallstreet Journal for free :P

-Eric

Steve Bussey
Username: Geosync

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:49 am:   

Hey Eric,

Is your elbow more than 90 degrees? It looks that way in the photo. Mine at 90 degrees does not quite fit for my IO540C4B5, there is interference with the cowling and the fuel servo in the front. The Servo will not fit off to either side, so may have to cut the cowling, or an elbow with a longer curve might do it. I wonder where I can get one?

Steve

Werner Maag, CH8174 Stadel, Switzerland
Username: Wmaag

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:30 am:   

to all IO550 engineers:

EAC sent me a rather crude rectangular alu box to go onto the intake to the throttle body, nothing forward of this.
I built a alternate air flap into this box and am now looking for a good solution for the filter arrangement. See sketch

Has anyone got more maybe from Steve Furjesi or another source to install one or 2 suitable filters into the tight cowling?
Which filter area or product and type is sufficient for the air hungry engine?

Werner Maag

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:31 am:   

to all IO550 engineers:

EAC sent me a rather crude rectangular alu box to go onto the intake to the throttle body, nothing forward of this.
I built an alternate air flap into this box and am now looking for a good solution for the filter arrangement. See sketch

Has anyone got more maybe from Steve Furjesi or another source to install one or 2 suitable filters into the tight cowling?
Which filter area or product and type is sufficient for the air hungry engine?

Werner Maag

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:33 am:   

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Werner,

You want to install a Brackett Air Filter assembly on the front of the aluminum box. The Aircraft Spruce part number for this is BA-2110. The aluminum housing is made by Steve.

Other manufactures have installed tubing running down the fron side of the eninge with a cone filter at the end of this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: