Breather air/oil seperator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Breather air/oil seperator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:55 pm:   

Here are Pictures of the oil separator I made. My "store bought" one cracked. this one is larger and heavier, so should work/hold up better. It is made of .064 alum tube. The way it is held together with all thread, you could just seal it with JB Weld instead of having it welded. The hose tubes are also secured inside and not just around the body, where they are prone to crack.
Note the angle cut ends and cross drilled hole in the drain back tube.
Cost me about 10 bucks, did I mention I was cheap?

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:54 pm:   

Nice pics

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:22 am:   

I tried twice, so look in the gallery

Roy Howard Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

Hi Wayne,
Your pictures are execellent for showing us how to build the oil separator. However I'm a little confused about the orientation. I'm not familiar with how oil separators work, so could you identify which tube is which and what they hook up to? Also, which end is up? After it's welded do you remove the all-thread and seal up the holes?

I've got a brand new MIG welder and now have an excuse to use it.

Thanks.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:48 pm:   

An air/oil separator does just that. It is in line on the crankcase breather. the can catches the oil and lets it drain back into the engine.
Mine is designed to lay horizontal on the engine mount. the breather line goes in the top on the end. The out let vent tube is a stand pipe and a hose runs out the cowl bottom, the small 3/8" tube drains the oil back into the crank case side. Think of it as an expansion chamber, air/oil blows in, the oil pools to the bottom and out the small tube back to the engine and the air continues on out the other 3/4" tube.
Your engine is a big air pump, with the pistons moving in and out the cylinders, the case is moving alot of air which picks up oil that gets blown over board out the breather. this helps to catch and return some. Without one right now, my belly is covered in a couple hours.
I'm not a welder, but better practice with that "MIG", didn't know you could do alum with one. Yes you could re move the althread if it is welded.
Some slobber pots are mounted vertical, just depends on your install. Mounting the inlet up from the bottom keeps the back pressure down if it fills with oil, having the out vent near the top helps keep the oil from draining out the vent. Some times the whole mess acts as a catch pot untill you shut the engine down. there can still be cc pressure going in the small line, and probably is.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:06 pm:   

ok i'm dumb where do i find waynes pictures of the breather?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:12 pm:   

ok found the pictures i guess im not as dumb as I thought!

Roy Howard Davis

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   

Thanks Wayne,
The horizontal mounting had me baffled. Good thing you explained that part.

We just sold our Maule with a fabric fuselage. Spent days on our backs with orange oil cleaner to remove that black crud. Gonna put one of these slobber pot (great description) on the new Express.

Thanks.

Roy

Roy Howard Davis

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:18 pm:   

Thanks Wayne,
The horizontal mounting had me baffled. Good thing you explained that part.

We just sold our Maule with a fabric fuselage. Spent days on our backs with orange oil cleaner to remove that black crud. Gonna put one of these slobber pots (great description) on the new Express.

Thanks.

Roy

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:02 am:   

If you use good paint, then mineral spirits and gas will cut off the diry oil faster. I use 100ll+mineralspirits to wipe my belly down every trip or couple of hrs. The old oil will stain the best paints if left on. I also use the same stuff and an air siphon gun to clean the engine every oil change, (not that I have an oily engine)

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:08 am:   

I've had some some Cascade 701 alum welding rod. same as you see the guy at the flea market sticking pop cans together with. Well, I just used it to seal up my separator and would like to report, it looks(about) as good as any 75$ TIG job.You know I'm cheap, you do need to use a swirl tip propane torch.There shouldn't be any pressure in the thing, and the through bolt holds it together. I will keep you posted if it leaks,wink wink.oil separator

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: