Exhaust pipes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Aircraft Engines » Exhaust pipes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   

I put pic of my new (second) exhaust system in the gallery sec. They were made by Custom Aircraft parts. There is a ball joint that allows for expansion and will stop the cracking problems, plus makes the exit ends adjustable.
The heat muff is smaller than my org. which would cook you out, 2" SCAT moves lots of air, 1.5" into would be plenty.
I also had it ceramic coated inside/out to help get rid of the heat.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 04:46 pm:   

Let me relate last week's adventure and solicit some advice from the forum on my planned new exhaust system. First, I've attached a pic of the port exhaust as it was when I first acquired the project. The 1 3/4" OD pipe system came from an S-2 Pitts. Note the weld joint just below the junction of the #4 down pipe and the header. The previous builder added a 2" section to ensure the pipes cleared the cowling sufficiently to avoid heat damage to the fiberglass.

Now I've never been thrilled with this exhaust as I'm sure it's neither tuned nor efficient (except at making noise). I've had heat issues, which I addressed temporarily with a heat blanket and adhesive shields from Jeg's High Performance. The lower portion of the heat wrap (header wrap) covered the weld joint at the header junction by about 1 1/2 inches. The addition of the heat wrap increased the EGT readings slightly, but still, cruise was about 740 F, with low power descents bumping the temps upwards towards 800 F (any suggestons on how to avoid that would also be appreciated).
Port Exhaust
Well, Wed, my wife and I departed home base (VPS) for a 5-day trip to Orlando (ISM), St Simons Island (SSI) and St Augustine (SGJ). Start up and taxi out were uneventful (after getting the fuel selector off the empty aux tanks). On takeoff, we noticed a slight plastic odor which I attributed to the new heat shielding I'd placed over the front of the firewall (over the fuel lines & aux fuel pumps). We flew an uneventful 1.8 hour flight to Orlando/Kissimmee, landed and shut down. When I looked over the cowling, I found the port down-pipe missing and a lot of fiberglass delamination/buckling around the cowling exit hole. Funny, I thought, it was there when I pre-flighted--hope it didn't hit anyone in flight. Then I put 2 & 2 together and realized the source of that 'plastic' odor was the fiberglass around what used to be my exhaust port delaminating! I was happy I'd reinforced those openings with 6 layers of BID!

I got the folks at Attractions FBO (Orlando Flight Training) to weld me a new extention to the exhaust so I could fly out, intending to go to SSI and effect repairs. That was where I built the plane and I knew Buddy had the tools and materials to perhaps reinforce the cowling. Well, SSI was weathered in on Saturday, so we dropped in to see my friend get his Extra 300L at St. Augustine. While there, I looked over the AEIO-540 exhaust on the planes in the hangar (they assemble the 300L there at SGJ). The supervisor mentioned he had several of the older-styled, dual exhausts laying around he'd sell me as they didn't meet noise requirements (the new version has a center muffler). I now have a tuned(OK, it's for the 300hp version vs. my 250), dual 3-into-1, IO-540 exhaust, complete with oil/smoke injection ports.

SO...has anyone had experience with modifying the lower cowling to allow for a larger, Cirrus-type exhaust outlet? This Extra exhaust will require a larger opening on each side, and perhaps a small fairing across the front of the pipe for aerodynamics and clearance. I'll know more when I do a trial fit this weekend. Also, this new system has several sleeve joints (have to be lubricated annually), so I'm debating whether to ceramic coat the pipes. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. OH yes, the guys here at VPS found the missing pipe--it separated on the ramp about 100 yards from my parking spot.

Chuck\

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 08:54 am:   

With those smoke ports, you could get prioritized landing at busy airports by turning them on and declaring an emergency :-)

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 06:16 pm:   

well my ceramic coating was waste of 200$ as it looks to have just burnt off.
you won't be "lubing" those pipes. maybe a little hi temp anti seez when you first put them together. look back at my posts. that one pc unit you had would crack sometime. Good luck getting that new set to just bolt on. the #1 has to be bent in real tight to fit inside the cowl.
there are some pix in the gallery of my exits which are Cirrus looking.
that plastic burning smell is not good in our planes.I had that same/different smell first time up with the exhaust wrap also. that could be why your pipe cracked off, My old set cracked when wrapped, just like Custom Aircraft said they would. They have done many setups so I guess they know what they are talking about.

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 06:59 am:   

I had my exhaust system coated twice with ceramic, and it came off in large flakes both times. The second time was supposed to be different and better than the first, but it did the same thing anyway. The company that did it claimed they did parts for F-16 engines, and the parts looked great before I started using them.

Jim

Charles M. Robinson

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 07:28 am:   

Follow up.

The 'new' exhaust off the Extra (fits an AEIO-540-K, I believe) won't fit for the simple reason that all of the exhaust port flanges are welded in place with the bolt holes with the outboard bolt towards the aft; inboard bolt towards the front--on the IO-540-C4B5, they're 60 degrees opposite. It would have been a tight squeeze at the front, and would have required a lot of mod at the aft. Still, I got some idea of what I want to do to assemble a 'tuned' exhaust. I've got a motor-head from a local speed shop working the issue--he does it for autos, all the time.

Believe I'll forgoe the ceramic coating. I noted that Extra uses a small aluminum heat shield bolted to the pipe as the heat shield for their cowling--also a tight fit between the front and middle cylinders. I've removed (as it was separating, anyway) the wrap near the aft weld joints, leaving the parts near the front cylinder downpipe bend--that's where the cowling is closest and the thermal exchange the greatest.

Will keep you posted.

Chuck

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 07:21 am:   

Has anyone had any luck adding a support for the aft end of the exhaust. My exhaust pipe keeps cracking around the flange on the rear cylinder. I have an IO-540 C4B5 and I think the rear portion on the exhaust needs support but I don't know where to attach it. I don't think it needs to be attached to the engine mount but to the engine itself. Any help/info would be appreciated
Lou Lacy

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 07:43 am:   

Louie,
It might be a good idea to get your prop dynamically balanced. The cracks could be from vibratation. This has happened before.

Jim

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:41 am:   

My exhaust cracking was fixed by a combination ot three things:

1) Most important - as Jim mentioned, engine/prop dynamic balance
2) I have eyeball joints right at the beginning of the section that goes on to leave the airplane out the bottom
3) The exhaust pipes are supported to the bottom of the fuselage as they pass under the firewall lip by a pair of high temp rubber strips, joining to a stainless half-shell clamp on the pipe. That has worked well for years now

I would be very hesitant about supports from the engine - their dynamic resonant behavior is very hard to predict and are not likely to fix your problem, but rather be one more part that cracks.

Martin Jennett
Username: J6_aaa

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 01:29 pm:   

Anyone advise on where to get exhaust for LycIO360C1E6, other than from Aircraft Exhaust Inc, who made a very poor-fitting system from perfect-fitting old one sent to them.I had to modify it, and it has still cracked twice in one year. Any ideas ??

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 06:04 pm:   

I've been happy with the MII Exhaust these folks made for my Lyc IO-360

http://www.customaircraft.com/

fofo
Username: Fofo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 07:20 pm:   

ther than from Aircraft Exhaust Inc, who made a very poor-fitting system from perfect-fitting old one sent to them.I had to modify it, and it has still cracked twice in one year. Any ideas ??

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 08:52 pm:   

Try Steve Furgese as he has made them in the past.
Jerry

Charles M. Robinson

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 09:24 pm:   

OK...two options: stick with the 'standard' guys who do aircraft exhausts for BOTH experimental and certificated aircraft; or go with guys who do custom exhausts for high-performance automotive applications.

If you want to go the aircraft version, contact PlaneXhaust at www.planexhaust.net. They can build anything you want, even if you build it in model form from PVC pipe. As a data point, I had them make an exhaust for my Auriga (see the other threads) after having the port-side exhaust crack and fall off in flight not once but twice. The new version has 125+ hours without incident.

Or...check with your local 'tuner' or 'drifter' market and find out who is doing their custom exhausts. These guys TIG-weld incredible systems for cars putting out 600+ hp to the wheel running at temps way higher than we do. You might be surprised at the cost and quality of these guys, who are used to custom, one-off designs.

Hope that helps.

Chuck
Auriga N336FS

Martin Jennett

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:21 am:   

Al - You have any pics by chance ?? CustomAircraft are offering me a xover or a 'Y' - which do you have...? Thanks

Al Kittleson

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:48 am:   

Regarding Pics, I could get you some, but what I have is the same as what's on their website for the MII. This is a 2 into 1. I bought this as it would allow a tight cowling. It fits inside the induction tubing, rather than on the outside. The crossover generally takes up more space on the belly. Let me know if you can't find this on their website...Al

Martin Jennett

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 06:11 am:   

Al - Is 'MII' Mustang II ??

Al Kittleson

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 02:39 pm:   

Sorry, yes it's the Mustang II. Here's the link to a photo:

http://www.customaircraft.com/images/33250-2.jpg

They also make a cross-over. You can find those pics by checking the aircraft cross-section for the MII...Al

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: