Engine Monitors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Avionics » Engine Monitors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

I have a Vision Microsystems VM1000 that has developed two strange sensor-related problems recently, and I am wondering if anyone else has encountered them, and possibly fixed them without spending the outrageous $230 and $400 that VM wants for new sensors:

My fuel pressure sensor reads ok after the plane is warmed up, but on startup, it reads incorrectly low, like 2 to 5 PSI, independent of the electric pump on in addition or not. It stays that way a few minutes into flight, and then comes up to reasonable readings.

The oil pressure reads low, like in the 30 psi region, when the pressure is about 70 or 80, and when the engine is shut down, or turning on electric cold, without the engine running, oil pressure reads 72 PSI.

VM says the senders are bad. Any other ideas? If they are bad, anyone know who they are made by and replacement alternatives?

Reinhard Metz n49ex@aol.com

Jim Ward
Username: Jehward

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   

Reinhard:
Here is a posting from the Lancair ES group that discusses sensors. He has a Blue Mountain Efis with integral engine monitor, however, cutting to the chase, it appears that it might be worthwhile to give Westach a call to discuss the problems.
(snip)
We originally used the hall effect sensor that came on the right mag of our IO-550N. We could not get any fuel flow reading at all and after trouble shooting, concluded that we had a bad channel in the E1 cpu. Once this was fixed (took over a month to get it back), the fuel flow worked, but the rpm was bad. That was a bad sensor. Soo, we ordered one from BMA - the one for the Bendix mags. The problem there was that it stick out too far when installed and you can't rotate the mag back into its timed position. Sooo, a friend put it in his lathe and cut the shoulder off - very carefully down to the insulation on the three wires. That made it fit OK. We used the resistor prescribed in the install manual between the signal and the input voltage. We also ended up powering all of our sensors from the cpu (vice ships power) and also grounding all of the sensors back to pins on the analog connectors. This was exactly opposite from the info that Bob Northrup had provided us when we first started. That seems to have solved our instrument reading problems - except for the spiking oil temp and lowering of amps and volts and fluctuating fuel readings. This is caused by transmiting on either com radio. We are living with this for the time being.

To sum it up, we installed a modified Westach hall effect sensor, powered it off the EFIS regulated power, grounded it back to the EFIS, biased it with the resistor, added 15% damping on the tach, calibrated it on our own with a prop tach, and live with the drop off the cliff in rpm when we put the throttle to idle. From about 800-900 rpm, I don't believe the readings.

I took the bad sensor that came with the engine, drilled out the potting and the old sensor and potted in a new sensor that the good folks at Westach wired up for us. We now have a spare for about $15 - vs the hundreds of dollars that TCM quoted me. (end snip)

Out there a bit, but it might help.

Jim

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:45 pm:   

What happens if you turn the VM1000 on and let it warm up for a few minutes -- preferably with a battery charger attached to simulate the alternator? Do the readings change at all? If so, the voltage reference for the sensors may be bad or there may be some other problem in the VM1000.

Can you test the sensors using a volt meter to see if they really are bad?

Shawn kelley
Username: Skelley

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:55 am:   

I had the same problem with my VMX1000 system as well and what it turn out to be was the wire on both had come lose in the connector at the sensor and was opening or shorting the sensor. causeing it to go all over the place. Good luck tracing that down.
Shawn

Louie Lacy
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 01:47 pm:   

The oil temp sensor has gone out on my VM1000. I have been flying since 2000 and on their web site they say they are not supporting anything over 10 years old. I have left a message on their phone but no return call yet. Has anyone been able to get parts for their VM1000 that is 10 years old?
Lou Lacy

henri walser
Username: 43henri

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 02:41 am:   

I have the same problem with VMS since last year. I have installed on my Express-CT the whole EPI-800 system with two DPU for the 4 fueltank. Now the Express was ready to start the first flight but without the engine-instrument no change to passed the final inspection. First the memorybatteripack was low so i have order two new pack in last october no answer, lateron I send the calibrationcharts to VMS no answer,also from JPI (new owner of VMS) up to this time. So I have searching around for some new system and found by Electronics International some help (www.buy-ei.com)to use the fuelqty. capacitive sensor and the fuelflow/pressure tx. For the rest I found out with some friend that the memorybatterypack is a standard electonic part MK4802-150PCI ,the last chiffer are only for the size of the memory.
I do not use VMS / JPI anymore a other frind with a RV-9 after 25 hours flight time his VM1000 screen ( 2 year old ) comming blank no more possibility to repaire or pay the new VMC1000 wit all the new sensors....
Now I will installed all the new parts to get in the air with my first flight soon...
regards from Switzerland Henry Walser

Al Kittleson
Username: Al38kit

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 09:13 am:   

JPI in general, and especially their support for the original JPI products, has been great.

The older VMS stuff, is not supported by them...

I've always been very happy with them...I have had the 930 and 700/800 series. Both are great instruments.

ali moghaddas
Username: Amoghadd

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 02:32 pm:   

Louie,
You can get the oil temp sensor from:

http://www.aerocraftparts.com/Categories.aspx?Category=fb52ac4c-1632-4d22-a267-d 443ea012e4f

Oil Temperature Transducer part #: 3010021 sells for $160.00

Aerocraftparts web site sells parts for VM1000.

Ali

jorge baccaro
Username: Jabaccaro

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   

Hello
do anybody use STRATOMASTER EFIS (Enigma or Oddisey), with autopilot?
is a very interesting device and cheap, but I didnĀ“t hear about it.

Charles M. Robinson
Username: F15epilot

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 08:18 pm:   

Jorge,

I'm a distributor and have built two systems for customers. One was installed and flew briefly (quite well; owner/pilot loved it) until the partnership that owned the plane fell apart--sadly the plane got 'parted out' in the separation of the two and never has flown again. The other is on the shelf of the customer awaiting final completion of the plane. The Enigma an Odyssey are great systems; the AHRS are tiny but reliable. Work great; last long time.

Chuck

jorge baccaro
Username: Jabaccaro

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   

Hello Chuck
thanks for your answer.
I here that they change the screen because it fades quickly, is true?
Also the autopilot is quite releaible?
I saw a video of two guys that made a world circunavigate!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: