Angle of Attack indicators Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » Avionics » Angle of Attack indicators « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tom ware
Username: Tommie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:27 pm:   

any one install an AOA unit ?is it worth the$$?

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   

I'm installing the Dynon unit in mine. The pitot tube will cost me $200 which is all I need since I already have the EFIS. . . Angle-of-attack is the way to go for a stall warning, best-angle-of-glide (if that engine rebuild didn't do so great), etc.

-Eric

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:38 am:   

Why do you think you need to spend time and money on an AoA indicator? I talked with the guy at OSK that sells the popular model. He tried to shoo me away when I asked to many embarrassing ?? seems that thay are NOT accurate outside of a 1G stall. No dah. I have flown 3 planes that have "real" AoAs and each needs an airdata computer to do it's job. In 13K hours I have never once needed information from on AoA. So unless you are flying a plane on to a carrier deck and need to fly at CLmax for that carrier landing, why have one? Best glide? Too many variables,your plane/my plane they are all different, so you can't say hold 113kt's, 2.76degrees... if you are that close to busting you but better fine a better way.
If you want to talk about speed breaks, I'll tell you how to save more $$ But then I probably have one of the cheatest Express' flying. Frugality is what started homebuilding.

tom ware
Username: Tommie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 06:01 pm:   

Thanks Wayne ,just looking at all the bells and whisles!

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   

Wayne,

Any idea why the AOA indicators don't work above a 1G stall?

Gary Markwardt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:20 pm:   

Tom:
I have the Proprietary Software Systems Professional model & it works great. As far as cost goes, how much is it worth to know you're close to a stall? Mine gives me a warning about 6-7 kts. above the stall. I always "fly the donut" on final to assure the optimum approach no matter what load I'm carrying. My $.02 worth.

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:21 pm:   

I talked with Dynon about their angle-of-attack indicator and pitot system and they said that as long as the wing warp under larger G loadings doesn't affect the angle of the pitot tube, then the G loading doesn't matter.

-Eric

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 07:40 am:   

Boy, am I with Wayne on this one! I agree - if you need the AoA indication, you probably shouldn't be out there to begin with.

As for the speed brakes, I guess you could fool yourself that you will fly that much IFR under demanding circumstances in high density areas, that ATC will be hollering at you, and you will need to get down faster. But I have never found that to be the case. Between forethought, power/prop back to 20/20 worst case, flaps, and prior experience in a Bonanza, I find no need for speedbrakes. Another couple thousand$, more weight, and a new potential failure mode for an asymetric airplane - no thanks!

Reinhard Metz

M. Hunter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:05 am:   

My $.02 is split between the two.

AoA may provide some stall warning capability, but unless you are puting your airplane down on a 400' strip rolling and tossing in the swells of an open ocean (ie. aircraft carrier), I think GA benefit is more perception than anything. Practice and proper technique will go a LONG way in fulfilling your needs w/o the $$.

Speed brakes, however, can be a valuable tool depending on the type of flying you do. I know that I've needed them even in remote locations for various reasons (challenging approaches, busy traffic, ATC requests, etc) that even pulling back the power/prop, flaps & slipping can't provide the drag you need in a hi-po airplane. Every situation and airplane is unique... but once you use them to save your day, you tend to see their value more. Plus modern systems have cross-monitoring to detect asymetrical deployment and reset as necessary.

Just my $.02

Regards,

- Mike

Jim Weir
Username: Weirdjim

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

I think the guy in the Mooney that bought it at Montgomery Field in San Diego last night would have given his left nut for speedbrakes just before he rolled it into a ball.

M. Hunter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:14 pm:   

Amen brother Jim...

Proper planning and technique is all fine and dandy, but when you're in a "pinch" for whatever reason (ATC, poor planning, etc) it's nice to have that tool available to use before it's too late. Fortuntely for that Mooney driver he was able to walk away before the bird burst into flames. Lucky.... but speed brakes could have meant the difference between just an embarassing landing and a major insurance claim (or worse)

- Mike

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   

Just an FYI, I verified with an aeronautical engineer that the AOA should be accurate at all G loadings since the airfoil will always stall at the same critical angle (once gain, assuming the wing does not deform enough to distort the localized readings). That said, if the display of the AOA is accurate enough and you've verified the maximum lift/drag angle, then you can use it on a dead stick landing to give yourself the best glide range. It's very instructive to idle the engine and hold your best glide speed and then note your rate of descent. Now, adjust your angle of attack (I used airspeed and the AI when I did this since I didn't have an AOA) and check the rate of descent again. In my Cherokee, I was able to save about 300 fpm by doing that, but I had to play around with it for a minute or two. With an AOA, the angle is always the same, so you don’t have to hunt. The extra time and lower descent rate can add a few precious minutes that you may need to do a restart, radio your coordinates, or some other procedure.

Once I'm flying, I'll let you know if it is truely useful.

henri walser
Username: 43henri

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:31 am:   

Once back to the basicquestion from Tome, does anyone installed a Angle of attack from Jim Frantz. I have many times visite some forum from him, and I have one system ready to install.
Thanks for some infos. henry walser

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: