alulinium rudder

Description of your first forum.
jabaccaro

alulinium rudder

Post by jabaccaro »

Hello has anyone information about aluminium rudder?
Because my plane has the new tail, bigger that ct and also heavier. I need to add a counterbalance just aft motor of 50 pound for getting a good CG.
So I want to take out it but for that I need to made a ligther rudder. I read that somebody did both vith this material, getting more than 25 pounds less. Any information will be helpfull. Thank you.
kevin
Site Admin

Re: alulinium rudder

Post by kevin »

You could make an aluminum rudder. Just need a spar, fab some ribs and rivet it together.

My guess is that you are needing help with the design?

KA
jabaccaro

Post by jabaccaro »

Hello Kevin
thanks for your answer I was out of the forum. Today I read your note. I have some drawings that were used for doing them, but I want to know what type of aluminium and size, for spar, ribs, and cover.
I was thinking in copy from a Cessna 182, but if there are more information, will de easier and safer if there is one flying at present.
kevin
Site Admin

Post by kevin »

I would think that .032 6061 T6 would be plenty strong with a spar from .050 or better and 2 ribs plus top and bottom. Would be much lighter. I have the opposite issue, with one or 2 people (back seats empty) I have to carry 70 lbs of ballast in the baggage area to make the plane lighter in pitch. Without the ballast you have to pull hard to land it.

Find someone with RV6 or RV10 plans. These planes cruise in the 160 knot range and the plans will have a rudder design that you can use to copy.

KA