Takeoff performance

Description of your first forum.
Scotty

Takeoff performance

Post by Scotty »

All, I’m looking at buying an express FT but I wanted some advice from those who have flown it. There is a grass strip near my house I would try to fly it out of, 1200 ft long. The reasoning being they have hangars I can use vs the local airport that’s 30 minutes away and has a hangar waitlist. Would I be able to consistently operate from a 1200 ft grass strip at sea level in Maryland? If I invest money in an aircraft I would rather not leave it tied up outside while waiting for a hangar. Thanks!
tykoehn1

Re: Takeoff performance

Post by tykoehn1 »

I haven't flown a wheeler either but I was told it would be challenging but doable to land on a 1800 foot paved runway. I am interested in what others would have to say.
Kentkgb

Post by Kentkgb »

I’m just guessing, having not flown a wheeler, but 1200ft is tight for a high performance single. With perfect conditions (15kt straight down the strip, cold day, light) you may be ok, but less than perfect you’ll be off the end. Put yourself down on the wait list.
jchisolm

Post by jchisolm »

Here is some info from the CAFE report on Jerry Sjostrand N360EZ, 210hp Cont IO-360
Takeoff distance; 120’ MSL, 2 mph wind, 2582 lb. 75.2 ̊ F - 960ft
Liftoff speed; per barograph data, CAS, 2582 lb., 75.2 ̊ F - 86.1 mph
Touchdown speed; barograph, CAS, 2400 lb., 77 ̊ F. 83.9 mph

So at max gross for his plane, on a paved strip, you are close to 1000 ft. 1200ft grass is not going to work in my option
Joe Chisolm
Express CT builder
Marble Falls, Texas
xprsav8r

Post by xprsav8r »

I'd be less worried about T/O distance and more worried about landing distance! If you have the landing distance which is always longer, then you're almost assured the T/O distance required. Also, this heavily depends on your MGW at takeoff and landing. You may want to be ultra conservative and plan on the heavy side.

As a rule of thumb, I don't go into anything less than 2000' feet. Even so, I created a performance calculator that I run on my iPhone/iPad using Numbers. It uses my W&B to compute load and performance for T/O and landing with wind, temp and 50' obstacle considerations.

Happy to share if it helps out others. Just make sure you update the W&B section to reflect your aircraft (e.g. arm, moments, CG), accordingly. Other numbers are definable with sliders.

seanmcnally

Post by seanmcnally »

Is it possible to post this file please, it looks great and i would like to use it too
xprsav8r

Post by xprsav8r »

Hi. I've posted the tool to a public Dropbox location:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/39t2c4vqtlb1 ... 7PUTa?dl=0.

You'll need to download it and use Numbers on an iPad to open it. It was meant as a mobile planning tool.
F4pilot

Post by F4pilot »

I have a IO-520 powered Express 2000 that I operate out of a 3,000 foot grass strip. My T/O roll is 1,000-1,500 feet depending on D/A and weight.
If I'm launching with family on a hot summer day I'll take off with 1/2 fuel and fill up from a longer runway. I also have larger than spec tires 6x6.
LouisCarre

Post by LouisCarre »

Hi

I have express 2000rg, around 1000ft take off at sea level with 2700 take off weight

IO 540 260hp

Thanks
Express 2000RG
C-GGVX
Rimouski, Quebec, Canada