Aileron Construction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Aileron Construction « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 02, 2000jerry13 08-02-00  09:43 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reinhard Metz
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2001 - 07:42 am:   

In regard to questions about aileron slack, or slack anywhere torque tubes are joined with bolts, I worked with a friend recently on a procedure that realy cleans things up. It consists of replacing the AN4 bolts with taper pins, each with a threaded end and nut on it. It requires using a matching reamer to prep the holes. Both taper pins and reamers are available from Spruce. Makes things completely tight. Also gets rid of the problem where tightening the bolts on the wing mounted aileron torque tubes causes the bearing in the spar to bind. On the flap torque tubes, this technique is particularly usefull as it eliminates any ability of the holes getting "worked" larger with time, causing hysteresis in the flap positions.

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 01:00 pm:   

Anyone see an advantage in moving the aileron bellcrank out to the middle of the aileron instead of the inboard end? I noticed on other planes I fly that the rod usually attaches in the middle of the aileron. I've heard many flying Express people mention the heavy aileron controls as speed increases.

I can't decide if that would improve anything or not. I don't really need to create any additional work for myself, but I thought I'd throw it out there for the mechanical engineers of the group to chew on. I am an electrical engineer, so my ME courses stopped at the basics...

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:50 pm:   

Hello,

Could someone please tell me what the aileron and flap ribs are made of? I think it is last-a-foam. But as far as density I have no idea. I need to make some as my original wheeler kit is missing them. Could someone please let me know? It would also be helpful if I could get a tracing or dimensions of the part so I am not making it completely from scrath.

Thanks,

matt

Bill Page
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:33 pm:   

Matt,
I'm in the middle of building my flaps and ailerons also and ordered my ribs directly from Express. They come pre-shaped (more or less) and made of the right stuff. Use part numbers 111-12-024, 025 and 026 for the aileron ribs and part numbers 111-12- 027 through 031 for the flap ribs.
Costs are about $7.50 each. You can get the EAC parts list down loaded and will find it a valuable resource.

Regards,
Bill Page

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:51 pm:   

At 7.50 a piece, it sure beats making them yourself...

rvz
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:09 am:   

>>You can get the EAC parts list downloaded
>>and will find it a valuable resource.

Where can I find the parts list? I checked the manual site and although it has part numbers scattered all over the manual, I didn't find them all in one location.

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:39 am:   

Hi Matt;
Being one of the older Wheeler Express builders, I can tell you that we had to make a lot of the smaller ribs either from patterns we made or that were were furnished by Wheeler. I have not checked but will look to see if I still have the templates and let you know.

However, the foam you mentioned, last-a-foam, is at Aircraft spruce under composite materials on their website on-line cataloge and is the 4&1/2 lb cu.ft. material. You can easily make the ribs from either the 1/2" or the 1/4" and then glass them in place. Making the patterns should not be too difficult for anyone tackling an Express project. ??? Use 2 layers of glass each side overlapping the control surface skin by at least 1". Be sure to "coat" the foam with a very thin layer of "Q cell mixture" to allow the glass to adhere properly. This should be the case anytime you bond glass over foam.

You can also make your own 2+2 board material. If you want to do that, I can give you instructions to do so. Too lengthly to put on here.

Do you have a vacuum pump and supplies for vacuum bagging of galss layups? I can help you with that as well.

Please look at my web site and look at making pre-wet layups. Also referred to as the "the method" which is what our Swedish builder, Sven, coined for the process. www.sierratel.com/jerico

If you can get the ribs pre-cut from Express, that is good too. Good luck.

If you prefer to call me and talk, my number is 559-760-2745. Jerry

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   

Jerry,

Please contact me off list regarding rib contruction.

louis addessi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:51 am:   

We are about to assemble the flap shaft in the wing & would like to know what lubricant to use on the needle bearings. Concerned about cold temperatues & making the bearings stiff. Thanks.

Lou

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 06:44 pm:   

I just packed mine with axle grease, don't think you would have to worry about cold temps. I put some om all the slip fits also so they don't rust in place.

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 02:38 am:   

We have flown VH-MWD for a few hours now and the test pilot is reporting that the aircraft is very responsive to aileron control until he gets down to below 100 kts and it tends to be a bit "mushy" as the speed comes down. I guess my question to all of you experienced ones; is this what you find too?

There is a second part to my posting today. I have noticed that the port aileron counterbalance actually comes in contact with the upper and lower skin and is not quite allowing the down movement to reach the appropriate degree. It is about 2 degrees short. I cannot figure why this is occurring. The right wing does allow the full deflection. Obviously there must be a slight difference in the two wings. This also has the potential of giving less control in cross wind situations. Can anyonone offer any solutions please? If anyone tells me that I have to build the wing again, you will hear my scream even over there.

Best regards.

Kevin

Ted Gaston
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 09:12 am:   

Kevin, you are experiencing the same thing as all other S2k wings. Earlier (Wheeler) wings were sometimes built with a slot in the lower skin for the counterbalance to exit through at full deflection. The weight was wrapped and painted so it wasn't quite so ugly. I believe that approach was very effective and allowed full deflection. We found at the factory that the last few degrees of travel weren't actualy needed so it was a low priority to fix this one. One thing you need to make sure is that the inner skin is removed where the weight contacts. Another thing you can do is fill the counterbalance arm with lead. This would allow the shortening of the arm and may clear the interference.

wayne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:03 am:   

I get the 20 degrees up/10down, just barely. the weights do hit the inside skins, I think of it as aileron limit stops. The roll firms up above 160mph, I haven't had any trouble in 20kt xwinds, Like I have always said this is a NICE landing plane. BTW my plane stalls at 78mph clean and 74 FF at forward cg with just me and full gas. clean I get the stick all the aft just as it stall. Full power departure stalls are not practical, as the nose up att is about 30 degrees. so I would NOT recommend practicing them. have fun

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 02:13 am:   

Thank you Ted and Wayne. As always your informations is most helpful and appreciated. We have now done about 8 hours and we have found your numbers (converted to knots) is very similar to ours Wayne.
Regards.
Kevin (from Downunder)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: