Osh Kosh 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Osh Kosh 2003 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 28, 2003Tom R. Hutchison10 07-28-03  11:11 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

amoghadd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   

This is a sad day for all of us. I met Larry only once, and I was impressed with his knowledge and dedication. My condolences to his family.

Tom, Allyn if there is anything that I (we) can do to help out, let us know.

I think Larry would want us to persevere in keeping the Express spirit alive.

May god give patience to his family.

Eric Holmberg
Username: Erich

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 03:13 pm:   

The previous link did not work for me, here is one that should work.

http://www.ksfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1377686

I met with Larry several times and spent several hours with him every time going over the Express in detail. He was absolutely wonderful and my condolences go out to all.

Accidents happen to even the best of us. Let's keep the program rolling.

-Eric

Kevin Dennes
Username: Kdennes

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 06:46 pm:   

I was shocked at the news of the death of Larry and join with all others in the Express family of executives, workers, builders, owners and relatives in passing on my sincere sympathy.

It is hoped that there is a team of people that remains to carry on the extraordinary work that Larry has dedicated his recent life to and fulfil for him his dreams and aspirations.

Regards.

Kevin (from Downunder)

Roy Howard Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 07:10 pm:   

Larry knew more about airplanes and their inner workings than anyone I know. I am looking forward to my next builders assist session at the factory on September 15th and will be sad to know Larry won't be there so I can learn a zillion more new things.

The first thing my wife said when I told her how can we help.

I know the wonderful team of people Larry assembled there in Olympia is fully capable of carrying on building the finest experimental plane on the market.

Roy Howard Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

Just found this.

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aberdeennews/6408420.htm

Matthew Byrne
Username: Mbyrne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:43 am:   

is anybody else having trouble accessing www.express-aircraft.com?

Jerry Sjostrand
Username: Jerry

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

Express seems to be off line. With the crash I can understand the problem for the time being.

Douglas Hoff
Username: Dhoff

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:00 pm:   

Could someone email me with the place and directions to the Express dinner Friday? I've enver been able to preregister on the site provided here. Can I still go if I haven't preregistered?

I still can't believe what has happened. It almost makes me afraid to get in my plane when a pilot with as much experience as Larry did has a fatal crash. The area around Aberdeen is as flat as a pancake so something pretty serious must have ahppened as he could have landed most anywhere.

Thanks,

Doug Hoff

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:11 pm:   

The domain registration for express-aircraft.com was changed on Sunday to point to a Yahoo sever which doesn't appear to contain a web site. It will take a week or so for the new IP address to propogate through the Internet.

-Eric

amoghadd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:45 pm:   

Doug:
The airplane that Larry was flying was a highly modified conventional Express (using Wheeler’s skeleton) to accommodate the high horse power turboprop, and retractable gear with different weight & CG. This was essentially a new airplane being put through development phase.

I would wait for the NTSB report before drawing any conclusions.

Best regards,
Ali

Jim Butler
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:59 pm:   

Doug,

I second Ali's remarks. The airplane Larry was flying was truly a prototype. It had different wings, landing gear, engine and rudder from what your airplane has, not to mention many other components. I have about 345 hours on my airplane now, and it performs just as it should.

If your remarks were directed at the aircraft, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If your remarks were directed at the frailties we all have as human beings, then your fear/respect will make you a better pilot.

Will I see you at Oshkosh? Kay and I will be in Olympia at Larry's funeral on Friday, but should be at Oshkosh on Sunday.

Jim

Bob Henderson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 06:11 pm:   

I just visited with Larry on the 17th,him giving freely of his time to answer my questions, most of the morning. He offered to train me when the time came to fly my Express. In all the years I have been building (10 yrs), he was the most helpful. As a Viet Nam vet, also, I felt a kinship with him, and respected him very much. I will miss him very much. My heartfelt sympathy I send to his wife and children. Bob Henderson

Douglas Hoff
Username: Dhoff

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 07:42 pm:   

Jim & Kay-

I was refering to my own flying ability. I haven't been flying long and don't have many hours. When a very experienced and good pilot crashes it really makes me think about my abilities. I won't be able to get to Olympia for the services so please giove our condolences to Larrys family and friends there. We are going to try to make it to Oshkosh for the Friday get together.

Our prayers for the Olsen family,

Doug Hoff

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   

For anybody who is trying to get to the web site, it looks like the server was changed and it will take some time (should be less than 48 hours, so it may be up Wednesday) for the changes to propogate throughout the Internet. This is assuming Yahoo did it right :-)

If you want to get to the site, you have to point your DNS server to Yahoo's DNS Server at IP Address 66.218.71.205. That will let you go to the site at www.express-aircraft.com. As of Tuesday, I don't see any changes to the site.

-Eric

Eric Holmberg

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:59 am:   

The Express web site is back up, now.

-Eric

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   

I would like to thank all of you for your support. Everyone has offered their help to us and it is greatly appreciated. It is nice to see how much the Express family is truly a family, we have our differences now and then but when a tragedy like this occurs we all come together.

I have been in contact with everyone involved in the investigation and have not heard any new details. What I know is shortly after take-off Larry radioed he was experiencing problems (assumed to be possibly engine related and not the aircraft) and was trying to circle to land. During the attempt to return to the runway the airplane banked and went down in the airport parking lot.

I cared for Larry deeply and thought of him like a father. I looked up to him as a pilot and admired his skills on every wonderful flight we have shared. We have been on flights where I would have been terrified if he wasn’t flying with me. He gave me the most fantastic job and I enjoyed every single day I worked with him. He was a man who loved his family and shared storied about his wonderful grandchildren frequently. I’ll miss him forever.

The company is going to continue and prosper. This was a large part of Larry’s life and we will not let him down. His family, Paul (second owner of EAC), myself, and all of the great employees at Express want to continue in memory of Larry. We will not be another page in the Express story or let down the fourteen projects in factory finishing and many other customers at home building. With thousands of combined hours on the Express there is not a reason why this should be a problem. I am a low time pilot with almost 100 hours in N511EA, in which has over 600 hours on it, and no incidents to date. Things will be different on the technical aspect of the house. Larry was the one who knew it all and you must now be more patient for us to solve your technical questions. We have the engineer on staff and will also be hiring an A&P/Technical writer to improve the manual and be the point of contact for technical questions.

The website was just a coincidence with our domain name registration expiring. It has been renewed and the website should be up within 24-72 hours. Like Jim Butler said we are keeping the dinner scheduled at Oshkosh and the show at Oshkosh is continuing. During the dinner there will be a short service for Larry to go along with the service held here at the Express Hangar on Friday at 4pm. We have a great display of airplanes at Oshkosh and it should be a good show for us. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at (360) 352-0560 or allyn@express-aircraft.com. Again thank you for all of your help and support.

Best regards,
Allyn Roe
General Manager
Express Aircraft Company

God Speed Larry

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:23 pm:   

Members

My name is Jim Oyler and I have been 'lurking' these boards for about a week now. I was looking for a kit to build with my son when I ran across the EAC Express2K and was/am very impressed with its specs; mainly looks, useful load, and cabin space. I started reading all I could about this plane and am very impressed with the level of commitment and attention to detail that the current owners have shown, particularly Larry Olson. Every message I have read to date has had nothing but praise embedded for Larry. I would like to extend my prayers to his family, and express my heartfelt condolences to his staff, for this loss. After reading everyones responses, I know that this will not weaken the resolve of EAC or its Builders, and the new, Larry Olson Express, will live on.

With Prayers,
Jim

God Speed on your journey to a new life..

LOUIE LACY
Username: Llacy

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 07:30 am:   

I know everyone who was building in the early history of the Express would want to know George Carhart passed away February 2nd in Hickory NC. George was a member of the group who kept Express going by building an Express in Gig Harbour. His wife Imogene is living in Fernandina Beach Florida and I have the phone number if anyone would like to call
Lou Lacy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: