Fuel tank leak-HELP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » Fuel tank leak-HELP « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 29, 2000Blake Richards15 03-29-00  09:14 am
Archive through November 29, 2001Jeff Dingbaum10 11-29-01  12:00 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom R. Hutchison (Tomhutch)
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:31 pm:   

Jeff,
I used the SkySports fuel probes but I think the VM probes would install much the same, just a little bigger diameter on the tubes. Below is a picture of my fuel bays showing the probe installation. At each rib we created a "bushing" out of threaded PVC plugs that were center drilled out to the diameter of the probes. This way I can remove the probes if ever needed. I have tested the PVC in 100LL AVGas for going on 2.5 years with no sign of the PVC getting soft.

Tom

-----------------------------------------------
Fuel Bays on Series 2000

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 12:46 pm:   

Tom,
In the picture above, did you install a mounting plate on the outboard rib to attach the probe? I have just drilled out the holes in my ribs and I am getting ready to mill-fiber in the bushings.
The Skysports probe came with a square plate that is to be glassed in on the outboard side of the rib. It is tapped to accept the screws through the head of the probes.

I can't quite see if yours has that on it. Also, did you bend your probe at all to get closer to the UWS?

Thanks,
Brian

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 02:33 pm:   

Brian, if you look back up the page in the older messages you can see a picture of my grounding of the fuel cap. In the picture you can also see the square plate in the inboard side of the rib that the probe head is screwed to. I can't remember if there is anything between the probe head and the outboard side of the rib.

Tom

Jeff Dingbaum (Aviators)
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 08:50 pm:   

Here is what the previous builder did. Unless I am wrong (which I very may well be!), there is not any space left to install the vision microsystems fuel probes. The fuel pickups at the top of the photo are at the lowest point of the tank. I guess I could drill thru the 1/2 2core2. It wouldn't be at the absolute lowest point on the tank, but pretty close. If I do that I would probably insert some 40lb foam as a hard point to attach the probe installation hardware.
Jeff
aviators@wwa.com
\image

Jeff Dingbaum (Aviators)
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 08:55 pm:   

try to post this picture again. arg.
upload.jpg

Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 09:00 pm:   

I see what you mean, yikes! a lot of hardware. Well if your probe end is not at the absolute bottom of the tank just consider you have a little "reserve" when your gauge reads empty. There is a little 2core2 support holding the end of my probes that is attached to the spar.

Tom

Brian McKinney (Bmckinney)
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:34 am:   

Jeff,

Since you have the four tank configuration, you can't mount probe as Tom did. In the two tank configuration, the probe head is mounted to the outboard-most rib, and travels back through all ribs and ends up just short of the fuel pickup area.

In the four tank configuration, you will have to mount the probe to the inboard fuel rib near all of the pickup & drain area components.

I saw Reinhard Metz's building log book pictures at SNF and he has the probes mounted in the same place you will need to. You can get the probes with a bendable section at the top near the head that does not actually read fuel. He bent the probe in a pretty tight S curve I believe so he could mount the probe above or off to the side of the fuel pickup plate.

Hope that help & sorry if you already realized this,
Brian

Kevin Dennes (Kdennes)
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2001 - 01:34 am:   

I have completed my wings for our 2000 and have installed the inspection plate. Question. Has anyone actually done a partial "sloshing" of the area of the inboard fuel rib. Naturally, the fuel finger strainer and the end of the fuel probe would have to have some effective covering over them (e.g. condom). does anyone see any value in "going the extra mile" to do this. I reckon one of the most disappointing things to happen would be to mount your wings, fill them with fuel and then to find a fuel leak occurring. Certainly, with the inspection plate removed I could stand the tank on it's end and put enough sloshing material in to well and truly cover the area of that rib.

What do you think?

Kevin. (from Downunder)

Wayne Norris
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2002 - 08:34 am:   

Check the tanks before filling with 40 gal of $2.50 gas. But how? Here is what I did.
Cap the fuel pickup nipple, install the filler cap. get 24" of 1/4" or so plactic hose. install a T 6" from one end. stick/seal the short end into/ onto the vent tube, install a balloon on the T fitting, now blow in the other end to pressurize the tank. you can use and air gun at 5 psi, the balloon will act as a safty valve. Kink the line install a golf tee(as you haven't been usung any of those for a while) the balloon hopefully will remain inflated.
If not... when you stop cussing, get a soap bottle and have a friend blow in to the vent while you spray all the obvious areas.
If you found a leak (like a friend of mine) near theinboard rib/spar area. how do you get it sealed up good?
Take the fuel cap off, install a shop vac hose with a rag around it into the hole, cap the vent line, mix up some resin pour over you suspected leak area while the shop vac is sucking and the resin gets pulled into the leak. Now mix up some more with Qcell and repeat, then add some milled fiber and repeat. this should stop the leak.
My wife had a "great idea" "you should have done that before you painted the the wing" not that "I" did. But I would have have a good reason. Atleast there isn't blue gas dripping onto the hanger floor.

wayne norris
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 02:24 pm:   

so you filled the tanks and have a screw or two leaking. No need in draining the lot. Turn the selector off, hook up a hand mighty vac pump to the vent tube and have someone pump up a vacuum in the tank while you remove the screw, dab in some pro seal, put the screw back in and no more leak. By the third or forth one you will be a pro. So much for letting the neighbor kid help with sealing in those flanges.

Denny Blagojevich
Username: Airsurpulsparts

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   

I have some parts for WHEELER EXPRESS part # are
111-14-006-01 and 111-14-008-01
111-14-005-01 and 111-14-005-02
150 A L 06 AND 150 A L 007
112-12-001 THIS IS ALL NEW FROM 1989
Do have some Fiberglas for wings size is 50 FEET X 75 INCH you can call me at 310-388-7393 name is Denny Cable control

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: