CT top 1/2 conversion remains. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Express Builders Forum » General Express Aircraft Discussions » CT top 1/2 conversion remains. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 23, 2004Jerry Sjostrand10 05-23-04  09:08 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CBROS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   

To "chime in" on the tail wagging discussion, we have 420 hours on our CT with an IO-540 up front and we experience some "tail Wagging" in moderate turbulance. We have discussed several methods of dealing with it but have not done anything aerodynamically. It is really an insignificant inconvenience, but if there is a reasonably easy fix we would like to hear about it.

Roy Davis
Username: Royhdavis

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:36 pm:   

I've noticed that N511EA, the factory demonstrator, tends to wag its tail a bit in severe turbulance. And it has the larger tail!

I would certain like to understand how to improve this.

Thanks.

Paul Fagerstrom
Username: Paul

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:09 am:   

You guys are all spoiled. Try flying a Cessna in the conditions you are talking about. Then we can have a discussion on how to stop a plane from "Dancing" all over the sky. The Express is one of the most stable, if not the most stable, plane I have flown in its class. It has been awhile since I have flown in a CT, and I have much more experience with N511EA, but 511 is rock solid compared to others I have flown. When flying my Twin Seneca in similar conditions, that plane really "wagged it's tail". Great discussion though, Rob we are all waiting anxiously for your reply.

Roy Davis

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:43 am:   

Paul,
You are right. On the way to SnF we were flying in weather that would have ripped the wings off my Maule. When you hit a hard bump where the Maule would have tended to roll over the Express absorbs the shock with a bit of wing flexing and a little tail wiggle. Maybe that's the best way to dissipate the energy from the turbulance.

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:32 am:   

Paul's got it right - much to do about nothing! My expression of interest in tail wagging solutions was mostly academic. The CT does wag a little more in turbulence than some long planes with much bigger verticals, but it is certainly not a problem, and in general maybe some of us have forgotten that planes do bounce around in turbulence, period (even big ones!)! And in general, the Express is a very stable plane and it's wing loading allows you to suck up bumps like you wouldn't believe.

Rob Jordan
Username: Rob_jordan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   

Sorry for the delay in response I had responded off line to those that had asked. I am speaking of the Tail wag in turbulence. We found that when you held you feet on the rudder pedals and held them from moving the "wag" was much less so at annual time we added a rudder spring setup to hold the rudder centered. It has reduced it to hardly worth talking about. I believe the rudder gets pushed around when the tail wags and adds additional energy to the "wag". We lighted the ailerons by changing gearing outboard instead of inboard. this reduces side loads on the bearings and creates a larger differance than the ratio change alone would. This was accomplished by raiseing the hole in the bellcrank on the rear side of the main spar. We drilled a new hole 3/4 " higher and thus reduced gearing by 33% the load is unchanged outboard of the change by reduced from the berings inboard where it matters. Has made big improvements on our plane and we even keep the SEXY TAIL.Jordan Express

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:07 pm:   

Much BetterPicture

Reinhard Metz
Username: Reinhard_metz

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 07:48 pm:   

Rob,
Thanks for the very interesting info - I like your approach to gearing the ailerons. Occasionally, my autopilot will trip its release clutch in turbulence, and this approach would likely fix that as well. As for your tail wag solution, that may also explain why some of us haven't experienced it as much to begin with - I generally fly with my feet solidly on the pedals anyway.

Paul Fagerstrom
Username: Paul

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:43 pm:   

Rob,
That plane looks great both ways. Like all art, I am sure one way is best and the other way better depending on who is looking. I think we should have a contest to find the artist in our group. Love your color and scheme. But I guess I was always partial to red. First Express I ever saw was Jim Warners and the color and scheme grabbed my attention and then the rest of the plane consumed me. Great post Rob and Anonymous

Roy Davis

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:45 pm:   

Hold the pedals still? Feet solidly on the pedals?

Maybe that's why the tail was wagging, I was pedaling as hard as I could to make it go faster!

JD
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:04 pm:   

Nah... now it's PERFECT

jordan RG

Jim Oyler
Username: Midniteoyl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:47 am:   

Now its perfect..

Jim

Rob Jordan
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:47 am:   

Where did you find the lancair with my paint scheme? I like it just the way it is. It gets lots of attention because its different. Plus I like the speed and having landing gear makes the landings a lot smoother.

Allyn Roe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 10:19 am:   

Rob,

What are your numbers with your supercharger?

Allyn

Terry Sack
Username: Terrysack

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 07:41 pm:   

Rob, do you have any pictures of the aileron gearing change you made. I'm not sure I understand what you mean from the description. I tried sending this to you offline July 1,but your filter refused to let it go through. Terry Sack

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: